Making Peanut Butter Bird Treats for My Feathered Friends

$8.00

I promised my 5 year old niece that I would devote this weekend to making birdie treats, she knows that watching birds is one of her aunties favorite pastimes so she suggested that I use my day off to make these treats with her. So I searched the net for peanut butter birdseed treats and came across this one. The process only takes 30 minutes or less to complete.
1 cup of lard or rendered suet
1 cup of peanut butter smooth or chunky
3 cups of stone ground cornmeal ( Note: birds don't have salivary glands so adding the cornmeal is important.
1/2 cup of white flour.
You will need: Birdseed, Peanut butter smooth or chunky, stone ground cornmeal, flour, lard, large spoons, string or wire and microwavable. bowl.
Step: 1.. To your microwaveable safe bowl add 1 cup of peanut butter, we are using chunky. You don't need a high end brand any will do.
Step: 2... Add 1 cup of lard any brand...Crisco, Armor, etc.. to your peanut butter, Melt these ingredients just until they are smooth.. Not boiling hot!
Step: 3.. Add 3 cups of stone ground cornmeal and the 1/2 cup of flour. Rats! I forgot to add the flour!
Step; 4 ..We added a cup of millet..You may use what ever you like, berries, raisins, fruits etc..
Step: 5..The recipe called for 1 cup of birdseed... We used 2.
This is the consistency we have without the flour.
We sprayed plastic cups with cooking spray and filled them... After they set a second or 2, we made little holes in them and placed them on a cookie sheet and let them freeze for approximately an hour.
We placed florist wire through the holes, I tried string at first but the holes didn't line up.. Next time I'll try making the holes with straws.
bend the end over like a paper clip to keep it from sliding through the hole.
We placed them on the balcony, here's one on a bamboo stick.
A few on the Xmas tree I saved for the birds.
Stay tuned for updates, I'll be watching for the birds tomorrow.... Hee..he.

15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Vetsy

• Vetsy

I'm curious as to why you said that birds do not eat animal fat ? ( Lard ).. During my search for homemade suet, I came across several recipes on the net and almost all of them included lard. Do you just feel that the non-animal fat is healthier? Whichever the case , I'm willing to try your recipe and others as well.... I just want to help out my little birdie friends during the winter months..

• Yvette Spicer

I take a pine cone, spread p-butter into the cone, sprinkle on bird seed. press it in a little further, tie a string around the bottom of the pine cone and hang it in a tree ... open for business ... LOL