Vetsy
Vetsy
  • Spartanburg, SC

Making Peanut Butter Bird Treats for My Feathered Friends

$8.00

I promised my 5 year old niece that I would devote this weekend to making birdie treats, she knows that watching birds is one of her aunties favorite pastimes so she suggested that I use my day off to make these treats with her. So I searched the net for peanut butter birdseed treats and came across this one. The process only takes 30 minutes or less to complete.
1 cup of lard or rendered suet
1 cup of peanut butter smooth or chunky
3 cups of stone ground cornmeal ( Note: birds don't have salivary glands so adding the cornmeal is important.
1/2 cup of white flour.
You will need: Birdseed, 
Peanut butter smooth or chunky, stone ground cornmeal, flour, lard, large spoons, string or wire and microwavable. bowl.
You will need: Birdseed, Peanut butter smooth or chunky, stone ground cornmeal, flour, lard, large spoons, string or wire and microwavable. bowl.
Step: 1.. To  your microwaveable safe bowl add 1 cup of peanut butter, we are using chunky. You don't need a high end brand any will do.
Step: 1.. To your microwaveable safe bowl add 1 cup of peanut butter, we are using chunky. You don't need a high end brand any will do.
Step: 2... Add 1 cup of lard any brand...Crisco, Armor, etc.. to your peanut butter, Melt these ingredients just until they are smooth.. Not boiling hot!
Step: 3.. Add 3 cups of stone ground cornmeal and the 1/2 cup of flour. Rats! I forgot to add the flour!
Step; 4 ..We added a cup of millet..You may use what ever you like, berries, raisins, fruits etc..
Step: 5..The recipe called for 1 cup of birdseed... We used 2.
This is the consistency we have without the flour.
We sprayed plastic cups 
with cooking spray and filled them... 

After they set a second or 2,  we made little holes in them and placed them on a cookie sheet and let them freeze for approximately an hour.
We sprayed plastic cups with cooking spray and filled them... After they set a second or 2, we made little holes in them and placed them on a cookie sheet and let them freeze for approximately an hour.
making peanut butter bird treats for my feathered friends, crafts, outdoor living, pets animals
We placed florist wire through the holes, I tried string at first but the holes didn't line up..

Next time I'll try making the holes with straws.
We placed florist wire through the holes, I tried string at first but the holes didn't line up.. Next time I'll try making the holes with straws.
bend the end over like a paper clip to keep it from sliding through the hole.
We placed them on the balcony, here's one on a bamboo stick.
A few on the Xmas tree I saved for the birds.
Stay tuned for updates, I'll be watching for the birds tomorrow.... Hee..he.

Vetsy

• Vetsy

I'm curious as to why you said that birds do not eat animal fat ? ( Lard ).. During my search for homemade suet, I came across several recipes on the net and almost all of them included lard. Do you just feel that the non-animal fat is healthier? Whichever the case , I'm willing to try your recipe and others as well.... I just want to help out my little birdie friends during the winter months..

• Yvette Spicer

I take a pine cone, spread p-butter into the cone, sprinkle on bird seed. press it in a little further, tie a string around the bottom of the pine cone and hang it in a tree ... open for business ... LOL