Adele DuranGO
Adele DuranGO
  • Tutorial Team
  • Bayfield, CO

Artists Studio Uplift: Faux Effects, Mirrors & Metal

$250

My studio is being transformed into dance space as well as a place for making art. I covered half of the walls with mirrors and painted my funky splattered walls a neutral grey. I found cast-iron grates to replace flimsy heating panels and it's all tying together nicely, more neatly. Now I have some detailing to do. I want some of the jazz back. You can watch how I'm doing it with my personal style.
jazzy quick faux effects on walls in artist s studio
I already have warm painted effects on some walls.... details in next image. I want to neutralize the space a bit, so I painted this chunk of wall in a warm medium gray.
details of effects on existing walls
details of effects on existing walls
Other walls were sponged & ragged in two or three shades: blue gray base, cream and ochre. Walls on opposite, btw, are a parchment white.
Gray Chalk paint watered down
Gray Chalk paint watered down
I had gray chalk paint in a similar color as the base. I water it down to swirl effects over the flat gray wall finish. I like to contrast dull over shiny, chalk over flat for extra pop as lighting changes.
brushing and detailing techniques
brushing and detailing techniques
I work fast with long bold strokes. Expressive, impulsive, confident.
I try to carry the effects into corners and around moldings to give the impression that the interruptions do not exist.
Here is the work in process before detailing. When the paint first goes on it contrasts dramatically with the layer under it. It will fade in contrast as it dries.
This is the look I am going for. I place a mirror in position on corner wall. Creates a large open look.
I want to touch up the heating grill and art ledge above my heater. I had long ago replaced cheap metal panels with architectural cast iron grates. I painted the woodwork around them with thin coats of black enamel paint and applied metallic paint.
I dip the roller cover into the paint and use it kinda like shoe polish on the areas I want to touch up.
I paint right over the old funky remembrances of past projects... I want an aged metal look.
The cast iron metal takes the aluminum paint very nicely of course. But I do NOT want an even finish. I want it to look old and rich. So much of it is applied lightly or ragged off.
Here it is all blending together with the look of old metal.
TaDa! The gray wash over the walls is more in keeping with my artsy style. It's a nice complement to the wood tones. And the grill provides an elegant contrast and functional work-ledge for more projects to come.
Paper, metal, pastel & wax; mixed fire giclee
Here are a couple mixed media pieces against the warm walls.
Lexan, paper & resin; canvas acrylic W.I.P.
Here is how my artwork pops against the gray.
Frankly, we everyday artists do better, emotionally & financially, to adapt our creativity to DIY Home & Garden Improvements.
We learn so much about craftsmanship and build confidence through our understanding of the use of materials, color, textures and composition.
So, at least for me, all of this creativity can be put to fine use painting directly on the walls and furniture, digging in my gardens or working with wood, concrete and stone.
ENJOY!

• Cast Iron Morning Glory Panels  (King Architectural Metals $40 ea)
  • Leftover paint: Ralph Lauren Aluminum  (Custom blended in studio)

• Carla

Absolutely stunning...i love your style!
  • Aleta

Thanks for the ideas. I really like how your mind works. I am also an artist and am redoing walls in our house. Great job!