Awesome Jewelry Storage!

$20

Ok, I admit it, I have way more jewelry than any one girl should, but I made a lot of it myself, for dirt cheap, so I don't feel bad  I like to have things neat, organized and easy to find, so I came up with this idea for storing my jewelry, using one of those 8 X 10 photo trifold screen frames.
I was so excited to start my project that I forgot to take a "before" photo of the photo trifold screen frame, but it looked similar to this. I bought mine on Craigslist for $14.00. I could have painted it, but kind of liked it the way it was.
I found this aluminum replacement screen at WalMart.
They make plastic screen but, I wanted metal screen to give my project enough strength to hold my earrings.
I removed all of the 8 X 10 glass panels from the frame and got to work. I cut the screen, with heavy duty scissors, about a half inch bigger than the frame openings. so I would be able to staple it to the frame.
Using my staple gun, I stapled the aluminum screen to each photo opening. I laid the whole frame on the floor to do this.
Then I removed some of screws that were holding the frame together and replaced them with 4 inch screws to hold necklaces. Here is my finished product.
I hung my earrings on the screen and my necklaces on the extra long screws. I wanted to be able to store my matching necklaces and earrings close together so it would be easier to get ready for work in the morning.

I was able to organize by color....
...and by theme (I made all of these earrings  )
You can see that keeping the necklaces separated, and therefore untangled, was easy with the threads of the screws.
I replaced the screws with the longer ones far apart enough to accommodate my long necklaces. As you can see, each 8 X 10 opening holds several pairs of earrings.
My finished project. It holds my long necklaces and most of my earrings...with room to spare! Better start making more earrings

• 8 X 10 screen trifold photo frame  (Craigslist)
  • Aluminum screen  (WalMart)
  • Staples  (Home Depot)

These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue

• Patti

Cute idea...but wouldn't your jewelry tarnish faster hanging out in the open like that?
    • Kelly Condie Thompson

Not tarnishing means you probably live where there is no or low humidity. Or you don't wear them very often touching your skin. Some of us just have more acid in our skin (perspiration) than others. A way to keep them tarnish free is to clean them with non-gel toothpaste. Just rub a bit on the metal with a soft toothbrush, rinse it off and buff it dry with a clean, soft cloth. Your piece of jewelry will look brand new and be good for another wearing.
  • Marcia f diteman

I WOULD LOVE TO. I ALREADY HAVE THE PICTURE FOLD. I HAVE WAY MORE RINGS (150?) SO OTHER THAN HANGING THEM WITH NECKLACES( DON'T LIKE THAT IDEA) I'M NOT SURE ? WHAT IS A CUP HOOK?? THANKS
    • Carol Winter Lynn

I think small "S"-hooks would work to hang necklaces, bracelets and rings from the screens.
  • Denahensley

Would old bifolding doors work for this project?
    • Michelle

Sure, would just have to replace some of the wood with screen

• Morgan

I love it. Great creativity. Thank you so much for sharing.

• Michelle

Thank you Morgan. It has really helped me keep my massive jewelry collection organized :)

• Devra

Michelle, this is a great idea! You could even hang bracelets and necklaces on the backside of the screen. Thanks for sharing with us.