Dan Berg
Dan Berg
  • Baldwin, NY

Easy DIY Fence Post Birdhouse

$25

How to make this easy DIY PVC Fence Post birdhouse
This maintenance free birdhouse is easy to build. Check out our short how to video with step by step instructions. If you find the video helpful please give it a thumbs up and subscribe to my DIY youtube Channel.
easy diy fence post birdhouse
Start with a pvc fence or railing post. I also bought the bottom trim. In addition I had a scrap piece of trex from a deck project which will be used for the bird house floor
easy diy fence post birdhouse
Mark and cut the trex to fit into the bottom trip. This can be glued in place with a little silicone.
easy diy fence post birdhouse
Mark 45 degree angles on the post upright, for the roofline.
easy diy fence post birdhouse
The PVC can be cut with a circular saw, chop saw or even a jig saw.
easy diy fence post birdhouse
Drill a hole for the entry. We used a 1 1/4 speed bore. You may want to adjust the size of this opening depending the the types of birds in your area.
easy diy fence post birdhouse
We added a wood perch but this is not mandatory. In fact many will claim that the birds do not need a perch and that it could be used by predators.
I used two small scraps of white plastic for the roof. These are glued in place with silicone.
easy diy fence post birdhouse
The bird house was attached to the tree with a wood screw and log bit through the bird hole opening.
easy diy fence post birdhouse
Check out our short how to video with step by step instructions. If you find the video helpful please give it a thumbs up and subscribe to my DIY youtube Channel.

• Elizabeth Kelly

Love it! But, Wouldn't the maintenance free material be too hot for the bird eggs?

• Pauline

Not sure but I have a metal mailbox sitting on my porch railing and every year we have baby birds come out. I live in Florida and it's hot. I guess they like the mailbox and the heat doesn't seem to bother them. Just love watching them out my window every spring!!

• Rhg8253491

Where is the clean out door? Never put a perch on your boxes. Predators sit and harras the nesters. What kind of birds are you trying to attract, depends on size of hole. Good idea.

• Klm27347701

I didn't watch the video but from the pictures, it looks like you can lift the house off the base in order to clean it.

• I just put together a birdhouse that attaches to your outside window so that you can see the birds nesting through two way glass. I sure don't want to hurt any feathered friends. I didn't know about not having a perch. I assume it's larger birds who might be the predators. Why would it be a death trap?

• Karen J

Have you made a post Sandpiper? Would be interested in seeing that.

• Check this out with the RSPB - it is a bird deathtrap!

• Teresa

Composite materials are what 80% of birdhouses in stores sell, honestly, type in "Composite birdhouses" on google. People love to create drama. The composite and the perch - will not harm the bird -

• Freedomrose

my best friends hubby made me this birdhouse with a Florida theme. We moved from Jersey to FL a few years back. To our surprise, we have a 'floridian' resident

• Jean

Laura,that is so very cute ,I want one,where ???