Chic Upgrade for $1 Glass Plates

3.4K Views
A simple tutorial about how I used a set of clear $1 glass plates and 1/2 yard of fabric to create a stunning tablescape.
Time: 30 MinutesCost: $12Difficulty: Easy
  • chic upgrade for 1 glass plates

First, you'll need to gather your supplies.
  • 1 bottle of Mod Podge (Dishwasher safe version)
  • 4 Clear glass plates (I used salad sized plates)
  • Scissors
  • One-half yard of fabric (Plates larger than salad size may require more)
  • Paint brush or sponge
  • Emory board
  • chic upgrade for 1 glass plates
  • Lay out the fabric and place the glass plate on top to trace it out.  I kept my plate face up.
  • Use scissors or a cutter to snip out a circle about 1 to 1.5 inches larger than the plate.
  • The cut fabric should be slightly larger than the plate - about 1/2-1 inch.
  • chic upgrade for 1 glass plates
  • Using your paint brush or sponge, apply the Mod Podge glue to the back of the glass plate. 
  • Using a large amount of the glue will lengthen the drying time.  However, I found that the more glue I used, the more vibrant the fabric became.
Alternative Method: I used gloss finish Mod Podge, but you can also try the dishwasher safe finish. In fact, I recommend the dishwasher safe version.
  • chic upgrade for 1 glass plates
  • Apply the fabric with FRONT FABRIC SIDE FACING THE BACK OF THE GLASS PLATE.  My apologies for "shouting" but I want to help you avoid a messy mistake.
  • Using your hands or a rubbery straight edge, press and smooth the fabric into place.
  • Use pressure to remove any air bubbles or excess glue.
  • Apply 1 more coat of Mod Podge to the back of the fabric and let dry.
  • Once the glue has dried completely, trim any overhanging fabric to the size of the plate.
  • Use the Emory board to smooth the edges of the plate and to remove an excess glue.
  • chic upgrade for 1 glass plates
Enjoy!
  • chic upgrade for 1 glass plates
Maybe even invite a few friends!

Suggested materials for this project:

Ola