Error loading player:
No playable sources found

Mailbox Makeover

$35

Mailboxes generally have the same look around where we live: a plain mailbox on a plain post which is so not my personality or style. After nearly 5 years of looking at our ratty mailbox and post, I decided to vamp it a little and I'm so pleased with how this fairly easy project came out!
mailbox makeover
BEFORE:
This is the mailbox that came with the house when we bought it almost 5 years ago and clearly it needed some TLC!

mailbox makeover
SUPPLIES:
-4 (1x4x8) pine boards *Note: We purchased 6 but returned 2.
-1 (2x4x8) board
-measuring tape
-Behr exterior semi gloss paint (Color: Cherry Cola)
-vinyl black/silver numbers
-2 (2.5" wood screws)
-DeWalt reciprocating saw
-2" paint brush
-18 gauge brad nails
-nail gun
-DeWalt chop saw

mailbox makeover
STEP 1: Measure and cut 1x4x8 boards
First, Rob measured how wide we wanted our planks to be which turned out to be 16". Then, he cut the planks to size using a chop saw. If you don't have power tools, you can do this with a manual saw or see if the hardware store where you purchase your wood will do this for you.
mailbox makeover
STEP 2: Measure, fit and secure post
Next, I measured from the ground to the end of our existing mailbox post. This would determine how much I needed to dig into the ground in order to fit in our support post.
STEP 2: Measure, fit and secure post
Once I had a measurement, I dug a small hole with a shovel...
mailbox makeover
mailbox makeover
...then, wedge in the support post underneath our existing mailbox post.
mailbox makeover
Finally, I used 2.5" screws (one on either side) to secure the support post to our existing post.
mailbox makeover
Optional: I didn't want the little piece of our existing post sticking out the back any longer so I used a reciprocating saw to cut it off in order to make the tall part of the existing post flat.
mailbox makeover
STEP 3: Install planks
After my support post was secure, I started installing the 16" planks Rob had cut for me. I used 2 nails for each end of the planks.
mailbox makeover
In order to ensure the planks were evenly spaced apart, I lined one end of the plank to the front of the existing post, secured the plank with nails, then used 2 scrap pieces of wood as wedges to space the plank above to the next plank.
mailbox makeover
Then, to ensure that the planks were even with each other, I used an extra plank to line then up from the back.
mailbox makeover
STEP 4: Paint
Hindsight, I would have painted my planks before installation but at the time, I was clueless as to the look I was going for so I decided to install the planks first in hopes inspiration would come to me. I decided to use the same paint I used on our front door (and the sliding barn door inside) to tie in the mailbox with the house. I used Behr exterior semi gloss paint in a deep red color called "Cherry Cola".
mailbox makeover
Optional: Because the numbers on our mailbox looked a hot mess and they were basically baked onto our mailbox, I simply grabbed new numbers (the same kind we originally had) and applied them over the original numbers. Our mailbox was in decent shape and I liked how the white popped against the red so I decided not to get a whole new mailbox. The sky's the limit with the numbers though! If you want a plain mailbox, you can get nice numbers to install on the planks but I felt that look was too modern for the whole look of our house/style.
mailbox makeover
I'm so in love with our "new" mailbox! It was so simple to give it a unique facelift without breaking the bank and it ties together with our house now instead of sticking out like a sore thumb.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 10, 2018 11:34 PM - More info

• Dpbeee2

A nice job. Is it to be a trellis? Looks good! Thank you.

• Rcw28620816

For fun, if you wanted some flowers, plant/strew some morning glory seeds. They grow pretty much everywhere. It would take away from the kinda mod vibe you have going. But they only last through the summer and early fall. And are easy to pull out. :)

• Barb

Were you thinking of using the little car I seen in the video next to the post? If so You could plant a vine maybe some clematis vine in a nice red color or white .You could chain it to the bottom of the post so no one takes it and hide the chain with the vine . IN winter you can bring it in so the plow doesn't destroy it .

• Robyn Garner

In hindsight, wouldn't it have been better to use galvanized screws? That way they would not rust from weather or come loose over time.

• The13363824

My mailbox was yours before. We had the post left over from our fence that surrounds our property of pool area. It is the exact SAME!! I keep pretty,, spring, perennial flowers around it and the neighbors and dogs walkin' .....pee on my posies. ;(((( I can't get ahead!! I love my mailbox.....;))  With my Patriotic flag waving.

• Wally-Tonya Czyz

It now looks like you have your mailbox sitting atop a pallet......

It would look better if you only put up 3 or 4 planks and painted them to look like the US flag. I think I might actually do this to ours. Thank you for the idea!