Kara S.
Kara S.
  • Hometalk Team
  • Houston, TX

How Baking Soda Can Change the Way You Paint—in Just 5 Minutes

$4

Chalk paint is super trendy (still!) because it quickly gives your surface an aged, matte look that is easily distressed. But, oh boy, can it get super pricey! I've got the perfect 3 ingredient hack for turning any house paint into chalk paint in 5 minutes.
how baking soda can change the way you paint in just 5 minutes
First, you'll need baking soda. This recipe will make a little over 1 cup of paint. For a quart of paint, quadruple the amount, but remember that it dries out quickly.

Mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with 1 cup of latex paint. Make sure to mix it well—you’ll need the consistency that my mixture had in the video. Lastly, add a few tbs of cold water.

Mix your ingredient until they create a thin, non-grainy texture. It takes a bit of time to dissolve all the baking soda, but, as you can see in the video, once it’s dissolved it will look just like the chalk paint you buy in stores.

This one cup of paint was more than enough to paint my end table and coffee table. I’m loving how genuinely chalky they look (and how little I spent)!

• Margaret Adamson

I'm lost, what is chalk paint and does stand up well with use?

• Sylvia

Ohh girl, once you see it you'll become obsessed lol!! It's beautiful!!

• Heje

Will it work to use the baking soda that was used in the fridge as a deodorizer?

• Jennifer Palermo

What a great idea!! Question:

Can I use chalk paint on wrought iron railings?

Thanks for sharing!