How Baking Soda Can Change the Way You Paint—in Just 5 Minutes

$4

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Chalk paint is super trendy (still!) because it quickly gives your surface an aged, matte look that is easily distressed. But, oh boy, can it get super pricey! I've got the perfect 3 ingredient hack for turning any house paint into chalk paint in 5 minutes.
First, you'll need baking soda. This recipe will make a little over 1 cup of paint. For a quart of paint, quadruple the amount, but remember that it dries out quickly.

Mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with 1 cup of latex paint. Make sure to mix it well—you’ll need the consistency that my mixture had in the video. Lastly, add a few tbs of cold water.

Mix your ingredient until they create a thin, non-grainy texture. It takes a bit of time to dissolve all the baking soda, but, as you can see in the video, once it’s dissolved it will look just like the chalk paint you buy in stores.

This one cup of paint was more than enough to paint my end table and coffee table. I’m loving how genuinely chalky they look (and how little I spent)!

• Colleen

Can you use satin or glossy paint. ? I would like to use this on our bathroom walls. And what would I use to seal it.

• LaTasha Parsons

The consistency will not be the same nor measurements. I use a nonyellowing matte clear coat to seal my pieces. It prevents the need for rewaxing in the future. And also keeps the pieces from scraps, spills, and scratches from my children.

• Engela

With what wax do do seal. Homemade?

• LaTasha Parsons

I do not use wax to seal the furniture I use chalk paint on. I use a non yellowing matte clear coat. That you can get at any local hardware store. But it must say non yellowing on the container. This prevents the need to relax in the future.

• Susanne Constantino

Can you actually write on this with chalk, or is it just for that matte look?

Thank you!

• Betsi

This is not the same as blackboard, or chalkboard paint, though. Chalk paint is used when you want good coverage without having to strip the finish off of your piece first. Hope this helps.

• Erica Smith

AWESOME! Homemade Chalk Paint is the best! The other Chalk Paints are way to expensive in my book also! I do like the Waverly also but nothing beats homemade! You can also use Plasterparis

Blessings,

Erica

• Candice Gollam

Wish someone could have answered the questions above. Great questions