How Baking Soda Can Change the Way You Paint—in Just 5 Minutes

$4

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Chalk paint is super trendy (still!) because it quickly gives your surface an aged, matte look that is easily distressed. But, oh boy, can it get super pricey! I've got the perfect 3 ingredient hack for turning any house paint into chalk paint in 5 minutes.
First, you'll need baking soda. This recipe will make a little over 1 cup of paint. For a quart of paint, quadruple the amount, but remember that it dries out quickly.

Mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with 1 cup of latex paint. Make sure to mix it well—you’ll need the consistency that my mixture had in the video. Lastly, add a few tbs of cold water.

Mix your ingredient until they create a thin, non-grainy texture. It takes a bit of time to dissolve all the baking soda, but, as you can see in the video, once it’s dissolved it will look just like the chalk paint you buy in stores.

This one cup of paint was more than enough to paint my end table and coffee table. I’m loving how genuinely chalky they look (and how little I spent)!

• Deb12575404

Did you wax the tables after?
  • Gail

Why do you need to add the water?
  • Sue Turner

doe's it have to be latex paint?
    • Jennifer Rapp

you can use acrylic
    • Chrystall

There is no difference between latex and acrylic as both are "water based" paint. They no longer use rubber latex in paint but continue to call either latex.
    • Sandra Hellewell

FYI: It definitely should be "flat" latex or acrylic paint!!
  • Pearl

Can you colour this paint? I am wanting a nice red, could I just add some paint from a sample jar they sell at home depot

• Cindy O. Riley

Does it wear well or easy to scratch?
  • Janet

Can you use any color of latex paint?
  • Marjon wood

Do you apply wax afterwards?
  • Jackie Leonard

Do you have to sand or strip finished wood before applying this paint?
  • Alice Ann Burk

Can you write with chalk on the painted surface?
    • Amanda

It's chalk paint, not chalkboard paint. Common misconception. :-) True chalk paint sticks to pretty much everything and gives painted surfaces a very dull, chalky look.
    • Kelley

I use plaster of paris, twice the baking soda amount with no water. And it can be written on like a chalkboard. I’ve done a couple of projects for my grandchildren.
  • Lyn25274326

Do I need to strip or sand down furniture before painting and Do I wax after painting .
    • Ani Brieger

you need to sand it just to enough to remove any loose, flaky paint and to roughen up the surface.
    • Bryan

You could wax or polycrylic
    • Bryan

I don't like wax because you have to keep redoing it. Polycrylic is a few coats once and you're done.
  • Mel31357754

I do smaller projects and have lots of the 2 oz. Acrylic paints. Can I use these?
    • Jo Ann Miller

I Use the small bottles of craft paint mix ed with plaster of Paris. Works great even on glass.
    • Mel31357754

That's great and affordable! Happy painting 😀
  • Jackie Johnson

My husband wants to go "industrial" with his home office. Has anyone tried Bondo for the texture?
    • Shirley Lewis

It could be done,but would be labor intensive if doing a wall .I don't think you can roll it on even if you made it really thin.It would probably dry too fast or not at all. Try it on a scrap piece of sheetrock or whatever smooth piece board you have. You learn a lot by trial and error or rather I do. Lots of errors 🎃😂 Shirley Lewis@ Wenches Benches
    • Dale

I have successfully used thinset tile mortar as an exterior finish which looks very much like stucco, no reason it could not be used interior. Depending on how thick or thin you mix it, you can have as much or as little texture as you like, and it is very paintable.
  • Lucy Vazquez Fernandez

Can you use this chalk paint on a chalk board?
    • Kelley

If you want a chalkboard end product use twice amount of plaster of paris instead, without adding water
  • Madeleine Dixon

What's "a couple of tbsps"? A number would help so no one ends up wasting paint!
  • Zub4846045

Can use this on old pine kitchen cabinets?
    • Deborah

Yes you could use this on kitchen cabinets, but a mat finish paint would be just as good without the extra labour. Also I'm not sure how durable it might be in an environment that should be cleaned regularly. A coffee table or end table will be dusted regularly but that doesn't involve soap or water. Maybe try it someplace first and see how it stands up to scrubbing.
    • Kelley

Flat paint is not good in a kitchen setting since it can’t be cleaned well without rubbing off
  • Linda kilmurray

what is latex paint (U.K.)
    • Deborah

Latex paint is a water based paint. Typically used to paint walls in a home. Low or zero odour.
    • Janice

Emulsion

• Mhp31603318

Can I use this chalk paint on fabric, then wax?

• Sue H

Does it have to be flat paint?
  • Bgk31897216

What kind of peppers for southwestern pot roast
    • Myrna

Generally one would use Thick and Chunky Salsa......

• Carolyn

Is this paint as durable as chalk paint?
  • Zan Miller Welch

do you use flat paint?
  • Anita Wells

Calcium carbonate is what makes chalk right? So you don't need CC just baking soda to get same look?
    • Miranda Revive

Food grade calcium carbonate powder makes a much better chalk paint- no contest. You can order a 5-10 lb bag on eBay and it is very inexpensive. Baking soda chalk paint is never completely smooth and always has a grainy texture. CCP chalk paint is much smoother. I have found that adding a little white school glue to CCP chalk paint is the closest to the name brand chalk paints and can be sanded with a damp cloth.
  • Ozz11542558

Is baking powder the same as soda please
  • Are8295546

HOW DO YOU SEAL IT? YOU KNOW TO GIVE IT A ITTLE SHINE. WHAT CAN WE USE FOR THAT??
  • Ann

Can’t you just use wax on it like regular chalk paint?
  • San2369965

I want to paint an old secratery desk using this paint, do I need to sand it first??
  • Bev

Could you apply this to fabric?
    • Connie

All you can do is just try it on a small piece of fabric and if it works then come back and tell everyone . And add a picture of what you did, so everybody can see the outcome of it.
  • Jill

does the finish on the latex paint matter. ie flat, semi gloss, eggshell?
  • J

Baking soda? Wow! Never would have thought of that. Do you think this would work on a patio?
  • Victoria Williams

.tCan you do this with colored pai
  • Joy

Does the work like the chalk paint, for kids to write on?
    • Leah Bowers Bopp

No that’s actually called chalkboard paint. They are not the same. I make my own chalk paint using plaster of paris. I’m not sure what the difference in ingredients that chalk paint is to chalkboard paint. you can probably find a diy recipe for that too.
  • Pat.oneal1

I thought chalk paint was thick but your's looks thin. Does it thicken ?

• Susan Duchesneau

What else can I use to crackle All I have is Almera glue !! It's a mother's day present

• Stephanie Rae

You can use regular school glue that dries clear. You paint a layer of glue onto the surface, thinly for a fine crackle effect and thick if you want larger cracks, and then while it's still wet, spread your paint over top of the glue. The difference in viscosity causes the two layers to dry at different rates which pulls apart your top paint film.

• Carol Reynolds-Arnoldy

Hi

This sounds and looks wonderful. Thank you.

I'm going to chalk paint

kitchen cabinets and im wondering if you seal it at end. Lmk. Thank you

• Lo411

If I was to do this to my kitchen cabinets I would definitly seal it.

• Rhonda Weir- Vaudt

I would not use chalk paint on kitchen cabinets!

• Mwe13484738

I chalked painted , glazed and then yes sealed. I used all rust oleum products. I love my cabinets and they clean up just fine.

• Bla22251191

If using chalk paint can you paint over it with latex or do you have to remove and sand first?

• Bobbie Cyphert

Would this cover over wood that is unpreped ( non sanded) or without primer?

• Chris Kugler

I saw another recipe that used plaster of Paris. Have you tried that? How does it compare

• Linda Dodson

I have tried both and both are great.

• Jody Moore

I have not tried the baking soad chalk paint yet, but I am going to. Thank you for your post!

I use the following to make my own chalk paint:

If you want to make your own it is super cheap and easy!

1/3 cup of cold water

1/3 cup of plaster of Paris

1 cup of latex paint

I like mason jars for the mixing part.

Add the the water and plaster of Paris together in the jar.

Give it a good shake until all of the lumps are out.

Add your paint to the mixture and shake until you have a uniform consistency.

• Jody Moore

I know Wax is the trending sealant for chalk paint, but I like furniture and decor that is low maintenance. More importantly, I have a four-year old who likes to lick random things... and even if the wax is non-toxic, I don't want my kid eating it.

I seal my work with Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish in matte. It is a bit expensive at $17.99 per quart (Walmart), but a little goes a long way.

I am super frugal, so when I found it at Ollie's for $4.99/per quart; I stalked up!

• Jody Moore

I used my homemade chalk paint to do these photo frames from a garage sale I picked up for pennies. I then went to the dollar store and picked up two placemats and glued them onto foam packing with spray adhesive. All together the project cost me under $3.00. These have not been sealed yet. I just wanted to show you how the paint looks.

• Li

FYI - if you sign-up for their email list most major paint companies (Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, etc), you receive substantial online coupons. My last one was 30% off from Sherwin Williams.

• Chris Kugler

Wow. Thanks for the suggestion

• Kanakadurga

What Happens If We Add White Cement Instead Of

Baking Soda?

• Deanna

Will it work like chalk ai,t for kids to wrote on or yourself

• Brittney Denise Boggs

No that is chalkboard paint, this is for chalk paint. The difference between them is one makes a surface turn into a chalkboard. Chalk paint comes in many colors, it is like regular paint but it is so much better than regular paint because there is no need for extensive prep work and primer. It is a paint that has a flat matte finish, and it is easier to distress making it perfect for farmhouse and shabby chic decor. Google Annie Sloan paint to see examples of this paint

• Gwendolyn

Chalk paint is just a like a flat house paint with more pigment in it so if you bought flat wall paint and picked a dark color it may look closely about the same and as for not using primer I always would. It will help your piece stand the test of time I just thought of something else oil based primer can be tinted and is exactly like a chalkboard when applied correctly.

• Bruce Connell

Try adding tile grout to your paint for a good “chalk board”. We use it on our kitchen jars and then write on the contents of the jar in chalk.

• Sandra Lindekugel- Aderhold

Can this work using craft acrylic paints???

• Ruby

Where’s the video?

• Nicole

Is this similar to the chalk couture products? I have been dying to try, but very expensive.

• Andrea Goubeaux

No, Chalk Couture products are pastes with a consistency similar to brownie batter. I don’t believe this recipe would be thick enough to give satisfactory results when used with their silk screen transfers.

• Debbie Steele

usually use flat paint for my furniture , Does this recipe help make the flat paint look more chalky ?

• Barbara Thompson

Do you have to do the wax finish like with chalk paint

• MittzyVon

Always wax after chalk paint even homemade chalk paint as you need something to protect the finish. Plaster of Paris and latex paint also makes chalk paint. I’ve been making my own for years. If you do not wax you should apply a matte clear coat.

• Stephanie

I was wondering that same thing

• Margaret Adamson

I'm lost, what is chalk paint and does stand up well with use?

• Kendall Wilkerson

Yes, and there is no surface prep needed. It is usually flat paint mixed with a chalky substance. But you do need to seal it with the appropriate wax that is made for chalk paint once the paint is dry.

• Sylvia

Ohh girl, once you see it you'll become obsessed lol!! It's beautiful!!

• Heje

Will it work to use the baking soda that was used in the fridge as a deodorizer?

• Christine Askew-Palmer

I bet it would. I would true it but I havent any surplus paint. (I live in an apartment) . I would think it would do the same because i do use my used refrigerator baking soda when I wash a tough dish sometimes just for the subtle grit/paste. And also to clean my sinks / like a deordorizer

• Heje

Thank you for the info.

• Kyther

Of course. There's only one baking soda.

• Jennifer Palermo

What a great idea!! Question:

Can I use chalk paint on wrought iron railings?

Thanks for sharing!

• Erica Smith

#Jennifer I'm sure any chalk paint will hold up to the iron railings but here is a link for you to read about the chalk paint. Annie Sloan is EXPENSIVE but you can use the info with the other chalk paint or the homemade! I've used homemade like this on things on my porch and its lasted. Good luck!

Blessings,

Erica

https://www.anniesloan.com/product-information

• Jennifer Palermo

Thanks a lot Erica!!

• Mary Ann Starnes

Can you use craft acrylic paint, instead of latex?

• Barb C

Do the homemade chalk paints adhere as well and hold up as well? I hope so. I'm asking because I like the velvety matte texture of chalk paint but not into distressed or flaky look. Thanks for the tip and any advice you have.

• Colleen

Can you use satin or glossy paint. ? I would like to use this on our bathroom walls. And what would I use to seal it.

• LaTasha Parsons

The consistency will not be the same nor measurements. I use a nonyellowing matte clear coat to seal my pieces. It prevents the need for rewaxing in the future. And also keeps the pieces from scraps, spills, and scratches from my children.

• Engela

With what wax do do seal. Homemade?

• LaTasha Parsons

I do not use wax to seal the furniture I use chalk paint on. I use a non yellowing matte clear coat. That you can get at any local hardware store. But it must say non yellowing on the container. This prevents the need to relax in the future.

• Susanne Constantino

Can you actually write on this with chalk, or is it just for that matte look?

Thank you!

• LaTasha Parsons

Yes ma'am you can if it is sealed properly.

• Betsi

This is not the same as blackboard, or chalkboard paint, though. Chalk paint is used when you want good coverage without having to strip the finish off of your piece first. Hope this helps.

• Erica Smith

AWESOME! Homemade Chalk Paint is the best! The other Chalk Paints are way to expensive in my book also! I do like the Waverly also but nothing beats homemade! You can also use Plasterparis

Blessings,

Erica

• Candice Gollam

Wish someone could have answered the questions above. Great questions