What can be done to make a tile patio non-slip?

+4
The patio floor next to pool deck is very slippery when wet. The tiles are reddish squares (not saltillo) and I don't want the expense to tear it out and replace.

• Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on Jun 26, 2017
    can you paint them using a non slip paint?
  • Angela Cosner Angela Cosner on Jun 26, 2017
    You can use a paint with grip in it, like sand, etc.
  • C. D. Scallan C. D. Scallan on Jun 26, 2017
    Go your local Lowe's or Home Depot and ask in the paint department for a outdoor deck sealant that has non-slip properties . Or you can just make your own with any deck sealant and sand.
    • Christina Christina on Jun 26, 2017
      Thanks. I was hoping to avoid paint. If painted it will have to be maintained almost annually because of extreme heat. I was thinking some sort of acid wash might etch it enough to provide traction. But I appreciate your response.
  • FL FL on Jun 26, 2017
    Found a website that offers different tips and suggestions for solving your problem. I hope something here will help you. http://www.sfgate.com/realestate/article/How-to-make-slippery-concrete-safer-3065686.php  ; Good luck!
  • Cori Widen Cori Widen on Jun 26, 2017
    Try some non-slip paint! Not a ton of prep and it works!
  • Christina Christina on Jun 26, 2017
    all great ideas but paint requires annual maintenance in extreme heat and monsoon rains and I was hoping to avoid. I thought some sort of acid wash to "etch" tile and give some traction. If that does exist I guess outdoor carpeting......