Ariel
Ariel
  • Selden, NY

Toilet Cleaning Bombs

$15

Got a dirty toilet, but you’re too lazy to clean up the mess?

No worries, I got you covered with this easy peasy toilet bomb.
toilet cleaning bombs
You’ll need baking soda, citric acid, an essential oil of choice, and a mold to shape your bath bombs.
toilet cleaning bombs
STEP ONE: Add 1/2 cup of citric acid (or 8 tablespoons) into a bowl.
toilet cleaning bombs
STEP TWO: Add 1 ½ cup baking soda (or 24 tablespoons).
toilet cleaning bombs
STEP THREE: Add 10-20 drops of the essential oil of your choice. I chose bergamot for a fresh, clean scent.
toilet cleaning bombs
STEP FOUR: Begin spraying water into mixture using a water bottle. Add this water slowly till it gets to a consistency where you can start to hold and form it.

STEP FIVE: Start forming your toilet cleaning bombs. You can roll it with your hands or use an ice cube tray to shape the concoction. Let the bombs harden for one hour.
toilet cleaning bombs
STEP SIX: Drop the hardened cleaning bombs into your toilet and let the do the work!

Once you drop the bomb in it fizzes, cleans and freshens your toilet. Just let it sit for 10 minutes before you flush!

Ariel

• Wayne

12 tablespoons is 3/4 cup, not 1-1/2 cups. Which is it?
    • Hannah V

It's 24 tablespoons, or 1 and 1/2 cups baking soda!
    • AngieZ

She gave the right amounts in her post. 3/4 cups + 3/4 cups = 1 & 1/2 cups 12 T = 3/4 cups so 24 T = 1 & 1/2 cups
    • Ji*27318873

Where did you see 12?!
    • AngieZ

Half of 24 tablespoons equals 12 tablespoons. If 24 tablespoons equals 1 & 1/2 cups then 12 tablespoons equals 3/4 cup.

• Patricia Espinoza

Are the ingredients (combined or singly) harmful to septic tanks/septic fields?
  • Melis

Can the essential oil be omitted if you aren't looking for a scent, but just clean?
    • Dam2068431

Yes the essential oil can be omitted without effecting the solution negatively.
  • Thomas Hayes

Will these "Bombs" get the water marks off from the well?
  • Joanna

Hello "Fellow Long Islander!"

Thanks for sharing -- I really have to make these. If I make a bunch and store them in an airtight container will they still hold their shape? Was also curious as to how many you made for the $15?
  • Bur20341333

Are these safe for a septic system?
    • Sue

This is just a guess, but baking soda would reverse the enzyme action needed that takes care of the septic system?
  • Darlene

can you store/keep these and if so what should you pu them in and how long can you keep them...thanks
    • C Van Houten

They seem to contain ingredients as Bath Bombs, which I make quite often and I store them in those inexpensive plastic containers that Glad makes . I also save those little packets that come with medication and if it's summer, when the humidity is high, I throw one of the packets in the container to keep moisture away. I've kept bath bombs fresh for about a month. They might last longer, but usually, when I make a batch it's gone in a month or less.
  • Monique

Where can Citric Acid be purchased other than Amazon?
    • Lee Ann Brickson

Walmart, most large grocery stores in canning dept.
    • C Van Houten

If you have a wine making store near you, you can buy it in larger quantities than Walmart, if you want to make a lot of bombs.
    • Glenda

Look by the canning (Mason, Ball) jars.
  • Katalin Paniagua

I got the suggestion on how to clean a toilet but HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE STAIN THAT IS ALSO IN THE BOWL . The water does not come up to cover it up, so any cleaning hack would only work with elbow grease if I was able to do that.
    • Marros1960

I purchased a pumice stone from Walmart that is for the stains in the toilet. We have hard water from our well so if we go away for a few weeks there is a ring. It was in the aisle with cleaning supplies.

• Virginia

I used a new pumice stone and DID NOT scrub hard....it scraped into the surface of the commode. It appears to have damaged the surface and the line remains. Can't seem to remove it . Have tried many other methods. If the surface is scratched, can it be fixed?

• Katalin Paniagua

Thank you for the idea. How does the comment from Virginia (Lafayette) fit in here. Can't afford to scratch it cause can't replace it (too costly) But I'm willing to try. Again, thank you
    • Esawyer

Pour in about 2 cups of White vinegar & a couple of squeezes of Dawn dish soap swish it all around the inside of the toilet bowl let it sit for around 20-30 minutes, then finish scrubbing with the brush. This is very effective! You can even use just plain vinegar on any glass surface to remove lime & calcium deposits from hard water stains! Nearly no elbow grease needed LOL. Save a lot of money & great for the environment as well!
    • Katalin Paniagua

Thank you, shall give it a try
    • Pat whitmus

I've used pumice stones on porcelain for 50 years and have yet to have it leave a mark or scratch on my toilets. Perhaps those who do have marks do not have true porcelain?
    • Katalin Paniagua

Thank you for the ideas
    • Barbara Resso Sharp

Use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and Scouring powder. Or CLR with the magic eraser, but use gloves.
    • B. Enne

I scratched my toilet with a pumice stone on my true porcelain toilet. It was wet and I did not push hard.
    • Donna Sheppard

Yes, I also had the problem using a pumice stone on porcelain toilet years ago. I believe I used Zud to remove the dark marks. Zud is similar to powder cleansers but even better for rust, etc on porcelain.
    • Katalin Paniagua

Donna, Thank you for the idea,
  • Leta Lafave

Is it citric acid or citrus acid ?
  • Stephanie Baldwin

have you guys ever use ZEP acidic toilet bowl cleaner? i get it at lowes, it works for me, and for that subborn line that the water doesn't reach? a pumice stone will work on that but ZEP gets that also if you leave it sit overnight.
  • Kgo23897534

I understand Katalin's question and I don't think anyone has addressed it. I have the same problem. Not the water line - but the entire bowl ABOVE the water line. Large area. Pumice is difficult and not very effective. Not an area that can be soaked. Any suggestions?
    • Patti Medrano-Hartman

We have hard water that leaves terrible rings! I use 2pts bleach, 1pt water in a spray bottle and spray the bowl above the water line. I found that the bleach destroys most spray bottle mechanisms so i reuse a bottle from my bathroom cleaner which has bleach in it. For some reason this works better than just pouring bleach into the bowl, which i have tried. Although i do use Comet it doesn't work on our water rings. Pumice is too difficult and the results are so short lived.
    • Kgo23897534

Thanks Patti. I will try that!
  • Kathleen McCarty

Doesn't anyone use Comet anymore?
    • Peggy Owen-Barlow

I use it all the time. I couldnt live without Comet
    • Catherine Hickman

Not on toilets or anything made of porcelain. Comet is an abrasive and scratches the porcelain and ruins the toilets from being easy to be cleaned to being some ruined toilets. The label even says do not use on porcelain.
    • Susan Zoll

I use a product called BarKeepers Friend. It's non-abrasive and that's all I use on my stainless steel sink. Works on toilets too
  • Kathie Rains

Is this safe for use with septic tanks? I already avoid using any products with bleach.
    • Liz Phillips Turner

I think it should be Okay. I have used KaBoom to clean a toilet with a chemical build up in it from a medication that my husband took for years and something in the water. The Kaboom sat for about 30 min and when I flushed the toilet the chemical build up disappeared. This home made recipe may do the same.
  • Bjm1725059

Does anyone have the ingredients for the receipt that uses Dawn dishwasher detergent, Epson Salts, cleaning vinegar, etc.?? (bjm8590@embarqmail.com.
  • Cpl6791705

I have this stain ring at water level in my toilet bowl (probably caused by letting cleaner remain in toilet to long - extra bathroom used infrequently) - I've tried everything I know - including, Coke (soft drink), baking soda, vinegar - scrubbing really hard, etc....nothing seems to remove this eternal blue ring. Can you suggest something?
    • Uki15374941

Get a pumice stick. Works great, I get these too. I got mine at Home Depot, but you can get them a lot of places. About $2-3.
    • Blo25336310

I cut small squares of drywall screen. The type that is used for sanding the drywall This removes hard water rings. I too have left the toilet bowl cleaner in toilet too long. The screen removes it. Just scrub with screen And ring is gone
    • Barbara Carlson

I put denture tabs in my back of my toilet couple times a week. the tablets clean the ring around my toilet out, works good. I get them for a dollar a package.
    • Debbie Jones

I also rely on drywall screen. We have well water and it is very hard it removes all the minerals from any porcelain service without any scratches makes it look beautiful and new.
    • Cindylou

• I might try Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. They work for everything for me.

, My three grandsons at a wedding the lights of my life
    • JoAnn

Pumie Heavy Duty scouring stick.... amazon

• Jacqueline

What Could I Use to Clean the inside of a Toilet Tank that's not to " Pricey "
    • Grg7965629

Denture tablets ,Cheap ones
    • HONEY

Be careful using denture tablets if you have a septic , they can break down the good bacteria in the septic.

• Pam

I used this toilet bomb
  • Kathy O

Where did you find the citric acid?
    • Lipstick mama

Amazon
    • Lipstick mama

Also, anywhere that sells canning supplies has citric acid. Much cheaper on Amazon, though.
    • Margaret

Gardening supply stores that carry soil amendments may have it, as might Home Depot and Lowe's. Also, at least some herb & spice companies carry it.

• Margaret

Do these keep, or are they for a single use?

• Vre15354578

what is best way of storing these cleaning bombs

• ShelbyNeen

Vre - I personally believe storing them in an air-tight container like a mason jar would work.

• Sharon Sosa

Can you substitute lemon juice for citric acid? If so how much do you add?

• Debbie Wooding

Just HOW BIG are these BOMBS? Like a SMALL ICE CUBE or 1/4 cup ...1/2 cup???? Inquiry minds wanna know.

• Susie Thompson

How come my bombs kept growing? I used 2 ice trays and both over flowed.

• Tracygrafix

Use less water next time... that’s what makes them expand.

• Ree15133473

If you use witch hazel instead of water it works better.

• Harleyontherun

Alcohol is better as it evaporates some. Add your eo before you put your citric acid in. Mix well. Then add your citric acid and begin mixing it while you are adding it to your eo mixture so that eo doesn't activate your citric acid. Spray little amounts of rubbing alcohol while stiring. Stop and check your mixture. It should hold together when you squeeze it in your hand. Like damp sand. At this point put it in your mold. The one you did had to much liquid causing it to activate and cause it to over flow. If you can get on Pinterest and search how to make a bath bomb. You should find a lot to help you. Also try youtube so you can see how it looks in the sand state.

Also when it is humid it is not a good day to make bath bombs unless you are in and air conditioned house with a dehumidifier next to you. Rainy days you may not get them to work. Moisture in the air will affect your bombs.

Good luck,

Theres

• Faith

do you have a printer version link for this

• Mam29535230

Can you get the citrus acid anywhere alse

• Psobrof

What is the best way to store unused bombs?

• Satindoll

I store mine in a plastic container with screw lid.

• Kerry

I've seen them stored in pretty Mason jars on top of each toilet in my friends house. I thought they were bath bombs. She told me, this way, even the kids will remember to help.

• Can you use Arm & Hammer "Super Washing Soda"? I have quite a bit of this I used for another project that didn't work so well...don't want to waste it if I can use it for this.

• Kathleen Rogers Knutson

Are these bombs safe for private wells/septic systems?

• Garcia

Yes, they will not harm your wells or septic systems. They are just like bath bombs. Safe and affordable.

• Pamela

Our septic guy said they can lead to build up. Salts and oils dont break down.

• Cathy

Do you put it in the bowl or tank??

• Wanda Belle

Where would I find the Citric acid?

• Melba

Is this safe to use with septic tanks I have 2 toilets is using2 bombs everyday too

much for my system. It’s a 1000 gallon tank

• Camilia Chammas

Yes it’s too much for everyday ! Once a week and ur pushing it . only because the citric aside will erode the pipes

• Jean Liggett McComb

Are the toilet bombs good for septic tanks?

• Jennifer

Would a locker be too tall and daunting for a five year old? Love this idea for my new kindergarten class.

• Vicki

I am having difficulty, removing soak scum off glass shower doors ? Please help ! I feel I have tried it all

• Karen Stripling

My husband suggested using Rain-X like we use on car windshields during rainy seasons.

• Kathi
      Yesterday

Careful with the Rain-X..... Your tub/shower floor can become super slick when you turn the water on to bathe or shower!