Zest it Up
Zest it Up
  • Atascadero, CA

DIY Copper Hose Stand

$30

Today, we wanted to show you how we dealt with our unsightly hose in front of our office. The obvious solution was to grab a brand spankin’ new hose from the local hardware store, but how do we keep the new hose from following down the same path of entanglement and muck? We knew that one of those plastic wheels would help us make things tidy, but we SO did not want that eye sore to compound the injury
diy copper hose stand
Supplies:
  • Quikrete
  • water
  • 2 pieces of 6′ M copper piping (M is easier to cut) (1″ width)
  • 3′ length of rebar 
  • pipe cutter
  • hammer
  • 3 T-connectors (1″ width)
  • 2 elbow connectors (1″ width)
  • 4 45-degree connectors (1″ width)
  • 4 end caps (1″ width)
  • adhesive for metal
diy copper hose stand
Cut List:
  • 2 pieces of pipe 5″ long
  • 2 pieces of pipe 7″ long
  • 2 pieces of pipe 10″ long
  • 4 pieces of pipe 3″ long

Note: upright stand can be cut to however tall you want your hose storage to stand.

I truly call this whole process “Legos for adults!”  Start by making your cuts using the crazy easy-to-use pipe cutter.  Basically, measure and then clamp and twist until the cut goes through.
diy copper hose stand
Now, begin your “Lego” building with a T-connector and your two 5″ pieces of pipe.  Using your adhesive, create a ring of glue on the inside of your T-connector.
diy copper hose stand
Using a hammer to make things snug, connect the two pieces of 5″ pipe to opposite sides of the T-connector.
diy copper hose stand
Now repeat the adhesive step with the other two T-connectors, attaching them to either end of your 5″ pieces.
diy copper hose stand
Now it is time to use the four 3″ pieces that your have cut.  Using the adhesive, insert them into either end of the T-connectors at both ends.
diy copper hose stand
Are you still with me??  I am telling you…think Legos. 
Now, grab your two 45 degree elbows and your two 90-degree elbows and attach them to your four 3″ pipe pieces.  You will have one side with two 90-degree elbows and one side with two 45-degree elbows.
diy copper hose stand
On the 90-degree elbow side, connect your two 7″ pipe pieces.  On your 45-degree elbow side, connect your two 10″ pipe pieces.  Finish the 10″ pieces with an end-cap, and the 7″ pipes with another 45-degree elbow and then an end-cap.  You will have built a shape like this:
diy copper hose stand
The last assembly step before heading outside is to attach the long upright piece that connects to the very first T-connector at the base of this little creation.  Again, this piece can be cut however long you desire, only dependent on how tall you want your hose storage to stand.  I opted for about 4′, which allowed for part of it to be buried below the surface a bit when installed.  Time to head outside and prepare my site!
diy copper hose stand
Begin by digging a hole in the location you desire for your hose storage.  I went down about a 1 1/2′.  Then, grab your bag of Quikrete and filler up! Since Quikrete only needs water to set, I watered the mix and gave it a good stir.
diy copper hose stand
Now, grab your piece of rebar and jab it down into your mixed Quikrete.  I wound up grabbing my hammer to give it a few good wacks, just to get it nice and secure.
diy copper hose stand
With the rebar set in about 12″ into the Quikrete, it is time to grab the copper stand.
diy copper hose stand
Simply slide the copper base over the rebar and push it deep down into the Quikrete.  The very last step is to let the Quikrete “set” overnight.  You want things cured and solid before covering the Quikrete with garden soil.
diy copper hose stand
Not too shabby, if ya ask me!  Goodness, I cannot wait until I start to see some flecks of teal on the weather-exposed copper.  This is going to be so pretty!!  So pretty, and so darn easy! Cheers to functional garden art!!
xoxo,
Chanda

• Quikrete
  • Water
Zest it Up

• Amo2458216

I want to do this project. But I’m concerned about the metal & how hot it will get.

Has anyone thought pvc for this? I sure am:)

• Kane

Mine got very hot but I’m in an Australian climate where everything gets hot that is metal, concrete or black

• Lucio Mastropietro

is it quicker to buy a hose stand? do you know the cost of copper pipe?

• Mary L. Sutherland

That was addressed at the beginning of the article .

They did not want to have the UGLY hose reel adding to the problem. AND those things decay. If you want beauty. And function. Sometimes you gotta pay a little extra.

A length of copper pipe for this is about the same cost & this is much prettier.....just FYI.

• Alister

Did you know that concrete rots copper. If I got a £1 for every floor I’ve lifted so a repair could be done just for laying bare pipe directly onto concrete I’d be a hundredaire now.

• Mary Jo Bender Schmidt

I think I may try this but with galvanized pipes. My house is gray and would match better. Thanks for the idea!

• Don

Anode and cathodic corrosion will develop due to the different electrical potentials of the two different metals. It won't last two or three seasons...

Better to paint the heck out of the steel rod and let dry before inserting into the copper.