DIY Rustic Wood Sign | Farmhouse Style

$77

Simple steps to creating a beautiful and versatile, farmhouse-style, sign.
diy rustic wood sign farmhouse style
For this project I went to Home Depot and chose a 6 foot x 9 inch piece of knotty pine. They cut it down to 2 feet (free of charge) for a final size at 2 feet x 9 inches.

I used 80 grit sand paper to smooth down any rough spots and wiped it down with a microfibre rag.

diy rustic wood sign farmhouse style
Wearing protective gloves - I wiped on Varathane wood conditioner using a lint free rag (old cut up t-shirt).
diy rustic wood sign farmhouse style
I wiped off any excess conditioner and let the board sit for 30 minutes. This allows the wood to absorb more stain and have an even colour.
diy rustic wood sign farmhouse style
Wearing protective gloves - I used a wood stain in the colour "Espresso" and wiped it on using a lint free rag.
diy rustic wood sign farmhouse style
I applied 2 coats - allowing it to dry in between. I wiped off any excess stain and let the board sit for 24 hours.
diy rustic wood sign farmhouse style
I made a stencil by printing off the quote I wanted in the font style and size I liked.
diy rustic wood sign farmhouse style
Taking white chalk I covered the back of my stencil completely.
diy rustic wood sign farmhouse style
I used painters tape to secure my stencil exactly where I wanted my quote to transfer. Using a stylus I traced each letter. This is time consuming but effective!
diy rustic wood sign farmhouse style
After tracing each letter you should have something like this when you lift the stencil.
diy rustic wood sign farmhouse style
I used Martha Stewart Vintage Decor Paint in "Wedding Cake" and painted in each letter using a fine tip paint brush. Again, this is time consuming! Put on your favourite show and make some tea :)
diy rustic wood sign farmhouse style
You could stop here and apply a finishing wax - but, I was going for a more "rustic" look...
diy rustic wood sign farmhouse style
I used the same 80 grit sandpaper and sanded over the letters until I had my desired look. Using a damp rag I wiped off any residual dust.
diy rustic wood sign farmhouse style
Using Martha Stewart Vintage Decor Wax, I protected my project by wiping on a thin layer of the wax using a lint free rag. I wiped off the excess wax and my project was complete!
diy rustic wood sign farmhouse style
I was so pleased with the final result. This project was time consuming but the process is effective in creating a beautiful and professional looking piece of decor. Some materials used are pricey - BUT, will last for multiple projects - affordable if planning on making more than one piece.

• Knotty Pine 2 1/2 feet x 9 inches  (Home Depot)
  • Varathane Wood Conditioner  (Rona)
  • MINWAX Wood Stain in "Espresso"  (Rona)

To see more: https://youtu.be/NV9dZ-K7Yrk

• Christine Brough

Did you print up the quote on the computer to make the stencil?? Not sure about this part.
    • Jill's Creative Lifestyle

Christine, yes! I found it is an affordable way to do it. I use an editing website called Picmonkey - they have a beautiful selection of fonts. I pay 4.99 a month and it allows me access to every font and feature they have. They have the free version as well which is wonderful. Something I also do is use Microsoft Word. I hope this helps. Thank you for your question! P.S. As for photos - I use google to look up silhouettes and other images I want to transfer to a sign.

• Belinda Horsley

I am truly blessed by this DIY...your Life’s Journey was displayed throughout the entire piece and perfect place for me to start in learning how I can achieve my goal in our life in starting over that Starting over after the August 2016 Flooding Ordeal

• Alicia Darlene Hamilton

I just want to encourage you here. I lost my home and then a 20 year marriage after Hurricane Andrew (S. Fla. in 1992.) Speaking from my experience, it will get better. With God's help you can do this. 💕🙏

• JOSEPHINE WALLACE

Definitely going to do this!