Build a Planked Dresser Top

$15

I definitely stepped out of my comfort zone for this project, as I am more of a "paints within the lines" kinda gal. I didn't have any glaze and am not a fan of dark wax, so I used many methods to achieve the final look, which was inspired by old Swedish Gustavian style painted furniture.
gustavian inspired dresser makeover
But first I had to deal with the stained top of this nine drawer, Bassett built, vintage dresser. (Forgot to grab a before pic! Duh). I was disappointed to see it was the only part of the dresser that wasn't wood or at least wood veneer, so I grabbed some 1x4 and 1x5 pine planks to make my own wood top.
gustavian inspired dresser makeover
Once I had cut the planks to size, I removed the drawers and backing so I could reach in and secure the planks to the original top with screws (Drilling pilot holes first). Since lumber is never perfectly flat, I used a hand planer and orbital sander to smooth it out and stained it in Special Walnut.
gustavian inspired dresser makeover
I always ended up with brown when mixing paint or playdough as a kid, so I kept it simple using just two colors - Winter Gray in a homemade chalk paint, and Rustoleum's White Linen Chalked Paint.
gustavian inspired dresser makeover
After painting the base in Winter Gray, I began adding several layers of each color in different areas, wet and dry sanding in between, as well as dry brushing and making extra thick white chalk paint to build up the texture throughout.
gustavian inspired dresser makeover
I wanted the edges to show more of the Gray (with blue undertones), so I used dry and damp rags to wipe away some of the white from those areas.
gustavian inspired dresser makeover
I also added the horizontal Dentil trim moulding, which was applied with some wood glue and my most awesome Ryobi nail gun. The pulls were painted with the same colors, using Gray as the base and white in the nooks and crannies.
gustavian inspired dresser makeover
gustavian inspired dresser makeover
gustavian inspired dresser makeover
My unofficial OCD tendencies had me adding and removing and adding and removing paint for days... This is why I need to stay away from subjective color mixing!
gustavian inspired dresser makeover
The paint was sealed with Rustoleum's Clear Matte (from their Chalked Paint line), and Polycrylic in Satin for the planked top.
gustavian inspired dresser makeover
Sold, to a nice person
gustavian inspired dresser makeover
Do you lile the planked wood topWould you have preferred a painted top to the planks?
Does the Dentil trim add to the look?

If you know an easier and more time efficient way for me to achieve this look, please help this detail-obsessed lass!

Thanks for stopping by!
Clair

P.S. Cost below dosen't include tools

Clair Seyler - woodpaintcreate.com

• Pj

How was the finishing touches of the bottom dresser? Shiny?

• Felicia

Gorgeous! Love the way you did you paint. OCD paid off.😛

• Tracy

Was the original top on the dresser too difficult to remove? It’s a beautiful piece but would prefer to not have double top.

• Bonnie Wall

I also like the thicker top. My only suggestion would be to add a thin trim on the front and sides of the tops to cover the line between the original top and the new top. It would eliminate the obvious added top layer look. Beautiful job!

• Mika

How to clean around the stainless steel stovetop burns? I tried goo gone.

• Jeffrey Scarff

Looks like you have had this posted for a while. But I can give you an idea on how to level planks a little more evenly. Go to Luthier's Mercantile website: www.lmii.com. They have a jig that guitar builders use to bond two boards level to make a guitar body. You don't have to buy their product, but you can modify the idea to your own needs. It works great!

• Karen

I love it exactly as it turned out. It is so perfect & very beautiful. Original & unique. You did an awesome job. 🥰🥰🥰👍♥️

• Carol Cole

Absolutely beautiful. I really love it.