An Old Copper Jello Mold Gets a New Use in the Backyard!

$15

Sometimes I stroll through the thrift store and pick out items that catch my eye, even if I don't exactly know what I'm going to do with it when I buy it. This copper mold was one of those purchases, but once I put my patio umbrella through it to test if it would fit, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it!
Of course, the hole on this pan was large enough to fit my umbrella pole. I've found the holes of most bundt pans are too small to fit an umbrella, but these molds with large holes work great.
I drilled holes in the bottom of the pan for drainage. Succulents love well-drained soil, so since I planned to keep this outside, I knew I needed holes.
I have an entire post on how to best plant succulents, along with the tricks on how to keep them alive for a long, long time. I know I said that succulents love well-drained soil and it's best to use a container with holes, but I've actually figured out a way to plant them in containers without any drainage holes, too. Everything you need to know about planting and caring for succulents is in that post. I'd love for you to come check it out, and let me know if you have other tricks in the comments of the post.
I added a variety of different succulents to the pan,
and placed my umbrella pole through the hole.
They are loving their sunny patio location and I'm loving how cute they look in this copper mold!

If you love upcycled and repurposed projects, I think you'll love some of my other projects. You can check out all my other upcycled projects here.

30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Jenny @ Refresh Living

• Alyson Fiala
    Alyson Fiala

Doesn't copper kill plants?
    • M. M..
      M. M..

As mentioned above, these molds were usually made from aluminum and colored copper. A lot of "copper" things are just colored to look like the real thing, you can usually tell by the price. In my area, real copper just doesn't show up any more at the thrift shops - the scrap is too valuable!
  • Barbara Mace Garitty
    Barbara Mace Garitty

Awesome idea! What is your suggestion for a glass topped table? Btw..I've spent a boatload on planters for my umbrella/patio table over the years...have always had a glass topped table. I love to put the umbrella planters on my lazy susan!!!
    • Dee
      Dee

I like leaving my glass top table free of real plants. No matter how hard you try, they always manage to make a mess on the table. try some fake succellant plants from the dollar tree.

Now is the time of year that they carry them in their stores.

Have also just used fake colorful plants, some of them look so real, that you buy from the craft stores, etc. Adds pops of color too!

• Wanda J Morecraft Keenan
    Wanda J Morecraft Keenan

What kind of soil?

• Heidi
    Heidi

Can't wait to get started! Now I just need to pick which beautiful color to use 😊

• Maggie
    Maggie

Old glass ceiling light fixtures are also useable as planters. Look for ones with one hole in the center for drainage. Being able to put this one around the pole is really great! Sure hope it starts to show patina!