Asked on Jun 28, 2017

Library ladder hardware- can I make or buy cheap?

TreeC. D. ScallanMic25215485
+4

I'm going to make a library ladder but the hardware is expensive. Does anyone know how I could make the hardware or buy it cheap? I need a wooden ladder to slide out of the way when not in use . I have a loft bedroom that was built with limited space for any type of stairs so the library ladder is my best bet.

• C. D. Scallan
    C. D. Scallan

Have you checked ebay and Amazon.com
    • Jana
      Jana

I have.. The hardware itself is a few hundred dollars.. I'm thinking of going to the hardware store buying metal pipe for the top rail, maybe I can find something there for the other parts.. Not sure what else I could use on the top of the ladder that would allow the ladder to slide from side to side.
  • Shoshana
    Shoshana

If you've got some woodworker in you, you can build one!
    • Jana
      Jana

Thanks for the video :) I haven't seen this video before, it's really helpful! I'm going to try to make it all by hand, hardware and ladder. I'm not sure what I might find at the hardware store that would allow the ladder to slide from side to side. The hardware alone is expensive if I bought it online as a set.
  • Mic25215485
    Mic25215485

i actually saw some wheels for a library ladder on craigslist about a month ago.
  • C. D. Scallan
    C. D. Scallan

That will cost you about $20. Castors or attachable wheels can also be found at the hardware store . Just be sure to ask for some that can support the weight of the ladder you're building .
  • Tree
    Tree

I'm on the hunt as well. Mine is for high pantry shelves. If you haven't already done so, check out the Hometalk section on barn doors. I think we can adapt that hardware to our purposes. If you have finished your project, I'd love to see it!