Melanie Simmons
Melanie Simmons
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Cincinnati, OH

DIY Closet to Homeschool / Homework Nook

$50

Our oldest started school last year, and we wanted a space just for schooling. The closet in my office was the perfect space. It only took us one weekend and $50 to complete the project.

(Details better explained in video)
Pick a closet, and let the transformation begin. We chose the closet in my home office, so that we could work together.
diy closet to homeschool homework nook
Empty your closet, and remove any rods.
diy closet to homeschool homework nook
Paint your closet. (Or wallpaper it) We chose blue because it's our son's favorite color & we already have some leftover paint.
diy closet to homeschool homework nook
Arrange your furniture, first. That way, you can see where you have room to hang shelves. We used a small side table as a desk & a bookshelf.
diy closet to homeschool homework nook
Hang your selves. We hung ours over the desk.

diy closet to homeschool homework nook
Hang accessories. We chose this bar and bins from Ikea, so our son would have a place to put his school supplies.
diy closet to homeschool homework nook
Lastly, add plenty of bins for storage. These are from Dollar Tree.

Now, if we could just get our son to keep his space clean. Haha.
diy closet to homeschool homework nook
We just love how this tiny space turned out! Now if we could just get out son to keep it clean. Lol

• Paint  (Home Depot)
  • Desk and Stool  (Ikea (or Target))
  • Shelves  (Ikea)

• Melody Warren

Awesome job! Where did you find the little bins hanging on the towel bar?
  • Pam

This is so darn cute and organized. A great place for independent work. I'm wondering if you have an extra table for teaching or does this happen at your desk or maybe the kitchen table? I've always been curious about how to manage homeschooling.
    • Melanie Simmons

We have another, larger desk in our living room. We also do schoolwork on the couch. Lol
  • Jeanne

Can I ask, where do they hang the clothes?
    • Melanie Simmons

Thank you. Lol. 💙 Yes, this is the closet in my home office so we don't need it for clothes. We also did a makeover in my son's room, because his dresser is big enough for all of his clothes.

• Carol Z

Adorable...perfect for a child to start to learn organization!
  • Luc27569933

I don't receive the photos, only the text, don't know why. I got only the first and second ones, so it must be possible for the test i suppose.