Birch Branch Dragonfly

$7

I saved the birch branches from my winter urns and have been dying to make something with them. I was finally inspired today when I saw a dragonfly.
First step was to determine how I was going to create this dragonfly. I decided to use wire to make the wings and use girls tights to cover them. The branch being the body. Pretty simple!
Using wire and wire cutters I shaped out the wings. Twisting them together at the bottom.
So it should look like this. Continue to make 3 more, two slightly bigger than the other two.

Once you have all four made, take your tights( I opted to use the pair that has a print on them, it looks like design in dragonfly wings) and cut off the toe part of the tights, and wrap over the wire wing frame. Twist around the bottom to make tight and use wire or string etc to tie at the bottom.

Seeing as there is only two feet in the tights, you will need to cut off part of the tights. Turn inside out and secure with a rubber band. Then turn back. You now should have an enclosed end to cover over your other wing frame. You will need to do this step twice.
This is what it should look like.
You should now have your wings, two sets one wing slightly bigger than the other.
Next take your birch branch, or any type of branch will do. Place your wings where you want them, then using jute string begin wrapping around the wings, criss-crossing and going around top and bottom. Continue doing this til you cannot see any material in the middle.
This is what it should look like.
Next step is to add some legs. I used some garden wire and attached them with a staple gun. Attach a little piece of wire in the back making a hoop so you can hang it.
Next step was to hang it on my wall.
Love how it turned out.

• Tree branch
  • Wire
  • Girls tights  (Dollar Store)

• Linda Sikut

Would you please measure about how long the first wing is or about how much to cut off at the toe end? Thank you
  • Shuganne

Oh, what perfect fun! I LOVE the copper wire of the legs, but sorta wish it were heavier or somehow more visible. It adds to the shimmering mystique. Maybe something like welder's wire with a curl on the end for antennae? I envy your artistic talents!
    • Melanie

Thanks so much, yes I agree with the suggestion of more visible wire.
  • Kelcie Brain

How did you hang it on the wall?
    • Melanie

I used a piece of string and my staple gun to make a hoop. I have a small nail in the brick. Because of the brick it is able to hang on that angle on the wall.