China Cabinet or Buffet?

While checking out my daily Kijiji Alert I came across abeautiful china cabinet and knew I just had to get it even though I reallydidn’t have room for it in my shop. The gentleman selling it was kind enough todeliver and thank goodness as it never would have fit in my SUV. It is a verygood quality piece of furniture made by a respected Canadian company GerardCollin Inc. When we brought the units into the shop we did not put the hutchback on top of the buffet.
china cabinet or buffet, chalk paint, painted furniture, I decided after quite a bit of consideration to paint it three colours I wanted impact but not over the top in your face I decided to go with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Coco Old Ochre and Graphite darkened I painted the drawer fronts first with the large area in Old Ochre and around the edge Coco The rest I basically went with Coco as the main colour and the Old Ochre and Graphite as the accent I did however paint the entire top of the buffet and interior of the hutch in the Graphite
I decided after quite a bit of consideration to paint it three colours. I wanted impact but not over the top in your face. I decided to go with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint ™ in Coco, Old Ochre and Graphite (darkened). I painted the drawer fronts first with the large area in Old Ochre and around the edge Coco. The rest I basically went with Coco as the main colour and the Old Ochre and Graphite as the accent. I did however paint the entire top of the buffet and interior of the hutch in the Graphite.
china cabinet or buffet, chalk paint, painted furniture, There were a lot of curved areas on this piece where different colours were beside each other and using a regular brush was not working too well I didn t worry too much about slight overlap or going over the lines per say Once I got all the paint basically where it needed to be and the proper coverage I went back with an artist brush and cleaned up the edges I don t usually tape I find it time consuming and wasteful in most cases and I can free hand faster
There were a lot of curved areas on this piece where different colours were beside each other and using a regular brush was not working too well. I didn’t worry too much about slight overlap or going over the lines per say. Once I got all the paint basically where it needed to be and the proper coverage I went back with an artist brush and cleaned up the edges. I don’t usually tape I find it time consuming and wasteful in most cases and I can free hand faster.
china cabinet or buffet, chalk paint, painted furniture, In the case of the front legs I wanted to transition from Old Ochre to Coco so I wrapped the paint around the bottom of the foot and brought it up to a point on the backside It helps accent the carving on the leg
In the case of the front legs I wanted to transition from Old Ochre to Coco so I wrapped the paint around the bottom of the foot and brought it up to a point on the backside. It helps accent the carving on the leg.
china cabinet or buffet, chalk paint, painted furniture, The handles were a brass that just disappeared up against the old finish but the detail was really nice and needed to be featured on the furniture I painted the handles the same Graphite rubbed a little clear wax on them and then brushed silver gilding wax on to enhance the beautiful detail I went with a fair amount of dark wax all over the buffet I wanted enough that it would even show a bit on the Graphite It adds richness to the paint Graphite I find hard to age but adding the dark wax and then buffing a lot with steel wool gives it a nice gloss but at the same time it looks like time has had its effect on the surface No matter what angle I tried to take a picture to show the top and how it really looks it just didn t turn out I guess you will need to come for a visit and see for yourself
The handles were a brass that just disappeared up against the old finish but the detail was really nice and needed to be featured on the furniture. I painted the handles the same Graphite, rubbed a little clear wax on them and then brushed silver gilding wax on to enhance the beautiful detail. I went with a fair amount of dark wax all over the buffet. I wanted enough that it would even show a bit on the Graphite. It adds richness to the paint. Graphite I find hard to age but adding the dark wax and then buffing a lot with steel wool gives it a nice gloss but at the same time it looks like time has had its effect on the surface. No matter what angle I tried to take a picture to show the top and how it really looks it just didn’t turn out. I guess you will need to come for a visit and see for yourself!
china cabinet or buffet, chalk paint, painted furniture, The more I worked on the two pieces the more I thought who is going to want a china cabinet this big I thought maybe I should just finish the buffet and use the hutch for another personal purpose As I was buffing the top of the buffet with steel wool I made my decision to do exactly that The hutch will be finished and used for another purpose and that will be another post
The more I worked on the two pieces the more I thought who is going to want a china cabinet this big. I thought maybe I should just finish the buffet and use the hutch for another personal purpose. As I was buffing the top of the buffet with steel wool I made my decision to do exactly that. The hutch will be finished and used for another purpose and that will be another post.
china cabinet or buffet, chalk paint, painted furniture, I achieved the drama I was looking for and I believe this buffet deserves I am sure it will make a beautiful addition to someone s home Until then she sits pretty in my studio
I achieved the drama I was looking for and I believe this buffet deserves. I am sure it will make a beautiful addition to someone’s home. Until then she sits pretty in my studio. http://redwindstudio.ca/store/2014/01/29/china-cabinet-or-buffet/

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

2 of 15 comments
Next