A Real Car Stopper!

$39
1 Day

Only do this if you don't mind people constantly stopping to take photos at your curb!

You'll need a bike and I like the look of older style bikes so located one on Craigslist for $20. You'll want it to have a basket in front to support the mailbox.

Here is where we started. We'd just bought the house and the curbside mailbox was ugly and barely upright so it had to go!

The entire bike and basket need to be washed, then wiped down with mineral spirits. Be sure to use primer if there is rust. We then chose yellow spray paint which is quite cheery.

Of course, you need a mailbox as well. We got ours nearly new at a yard sale for $5 and we chose to leave it the black color that it was. The mailbox needs a scrap piece of wood secured underneath it which is typical for mailbox installations.

To attach the mailbox to the basket you'll want to snip away some of the wire basket in front to make the mailbox level. Run a screw into the underneath wood at the front and wrap a wire around the head of the screw and secure the wire to the basket. With the rear of the mailbox resting on the handlebars run the basket bracket screws into the wood. It's very secure.

Move the bike around to see where you want to locate it.

Mark the ground where the bike axles will be. Then hammer the steel fence posts into the ground. You'll want one stake on each side front and back. If you want them to blend in be sure to paint the stakes to match the bike beforehand.

Mark and drill a hole in the stakes for the axles. Since the stakes are taller then they need to be cut the stakes shorter.

Remove the nuts from the wheel axles and push it through the holes you made in the post and replace the bolts. This connects the bike to the stakes.

Now it is sturdy and can handle even a child climbing on for a pretend ride. And yes this happens frequently so be sure to add a bell to ring!

We've really enjoyed our bike mailbox. We decorate it in different ways all the time. Here I put flowers in the rolled up newspaper in the basket.

It's fun and easy to decorate for holidays such as for Christmas I filled the basket with Christmas ball ornaments and attached battery powered lights outlining the bike. At Easter, I filled the basket with plastic Easter eggs.

I'm often in the house and hear the ring-ring-ring of the bike bell! I look out and oftentimes it's children but sometimes adults can't resist either, lol.

Spooky Halloween!

As fall approaches I fill the bike basket with gourds, mini pumpkins, and fall flowers. Then during Halloween week I add a posable skeleton that rides the bike with light up eyes, lol. There are always lots of cars stopping and backing up for a second look!

During the Winter we put ornaments in the basket and attach solar lights to the frame.

• Old bicycle $20  (Craigslist)
  • Mailbox $5  (Yard sale)
  • 4 fence stakes $8  (Lowes)

• Vickie Benak

A town next door had old bikes painted and decorated differently, all had flowers in them. They were so much fun. Not to be a kill joy, but are you liable if anyone gets hurt, like a kid falling off ?
    • Oilau

Or alternatively, "ride at own risk"...?! 😉😁👍

• Bubbles

Doesn't USPS have rules about the height of the box and the distance from the curb?

• Jeanne Gural

Hello, Thank you for posting these instructions. I am having a hard time finding which stakes to use. Could you post a link or more info on them please?