Macrame Hanging Herb Garden

$50

Want a piece of art that is also functional? Follow this tutorial for a macrame hanging herb garden!
I’ve been wanting to make a large macrame wall hanging for my balcony for some time but just wasn’t sure where to start. Finally, I took a deep breath and began. My first step? Get out my drill. 

Yep, that’s what I said. I had to get out my drill and learn how to drill holes into brick. Pretty easy, actually. I bought some hooks from Home Depot and asked an employee what type and size drill bit was needed. A few dollars and a one masonry bit later, I was ready to give it a try. (Oh, I did watch a You Tube video beforehand and learned it is best to drill into the grout.) Steps: drill hole, insert anchor, screw in hook.
I needed a sturdier pole than a wooden dowel, so I opted for a thin metal dowel, 48 inches long. Now to begin the weaving… For this wall hanging, I used 5/16″ wide nylon rope, as it will withstand weather better than cotton. It took nearly 4 rolls of 100′ nylon rope.

STEP 1 - Cut 32 pieces of rope, each measuring approximately 120 inches. Tie them onto the pole as shown below, using the Lark’s Head Knot.
STEP 2 -
Group the cords into 4 sections of 16 (individual cords). Using the Half Hitch Knot,  weave a “V” shape into each section.
STEP 3 -
Repeat a second row of “V” shaped Half Hitch Knots for all 4 sections. 
Then tie a Square Knot at the bottom center of each of the 4 Vs.
STEP 4 -
In the 3 spaces between the Vs, tie another Square Knot (3 in total as shown).
STEP 5 -
Beginning with the 16 individual cords on the far right side, about 4 inches down from center V knot, make a row of 3 Square Knots. Let the 2 individual cords on each end hang loose.
STEP 6 -
Now about 2.5 inches beneath that row, make a second row of 4 Alternating Square Knots.
STEP 7 -
About 2.5 inches down from the second row, make a third row of 3 Alternating Square Knots. 
STEP 8 -
To create the “pocket” for a flower pot or mason jar, using the 2 loose cords on each end of the last row, make a fourth Square Knot. Bring the 2 cords from each end around to the front; using those 4 cords, make the Square Knot. This creates a circular shape to this section of the wall hanging. 
STEP 9 -
Now you are ready to finish the pocket with a Wrapped Knot. (You can find a tutorial for making a Wrapped Knot on my website myfrenchtwist.com, along with other macrame knot tutorials!) About 3 inches down from the last row of Square Knots, tie a Wrapped Knot. Then cut the rope ends to your desired length.
 STEP 10 - 
Now you have created a pocket for the your first flower pot, using the 16 cords on the far right of your wall hanging (the 4th section). Repeat steps 5 through 8 for the 16 cords on the far left of your wall hanging (1st section).

STEP 11 -
For the second set of 16 cords, follow steps 5 through 8. Now about 2.5 inches down from the third row of Square Knots (which has taken on a circular shape), make another row of Alternating Square Knots. 

Then, about 2 inches down tie a Wrapped Knot. You now have 3 sections done!
STEP 12 -
You should have pockets for 3 flower pots done (sections 1,2 and 4). For the remaining third section of 16 cords, follow steps 5 through 7. Then make a fourth row of 4 Alternating Square Knots. Again, make a fifth row of 3 Alternating Square Knots, and using the 2 loose cords on the ends, make another Square Knot in the front to create a circular feel for the pocket (see step 8).

Not quite done! Now make a sixth and final row of 3 Alternating Square Knots. Then make a Wrapped Knot to finish it off. 
STEP 13 -
Your wall hanging should now have 4 completed sections with pockets for flower pots or mason jars. You can cut the tassels to any desired length. I like a staggered effect. 

I used small ceramic pots that measured 2.5 inches bottom diameter and 4.5 inches top diameter. Fill them with dirt and your favorite herbs, then place them in the pockets. If you don’t want the maintenance of daily watering, use succulents planted in pretty containers instead. Better yet, even faux succulents would look beautiful (especially if you are displaying the wall hanging indoors.)

25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Wendy at myfrenchtwist.com

• Barb Edlen

Stunning! Such a beautiful and CLEVER idea!!!!

• Hope

Those are gorgeous!!! I really love how they look against the brick.

I love the white ropes...they look so clean and elegant. Does the rope get stained when you water the plants or by the weather..?

• Wendy at myfrenchtwist.com

No, the rope holds us great in weather... still looks new. But I've noticed the pole I used for a dowel is getting rusty. Maybe I should have painted and sealed it?

• Judy Laurvick

I did not see what the finished size is. Width and length?

• Doreen Kennedy

Your macrame work is beautiful.

• Linda Abate

Your macrame pot holders are beautiful. There is nothing like having fresh herbs or having beautiful plants/flowers to look at and enjoy every day. This would be a lovely feature to a front porch as well as attaching it to the outside of the house. LOVE IT.