Sarah M
Sarah M
  • Carthage, MO

Fence Post Plant Hanger...

1 Material
$30

List Of Supplies Needed:
1 4X4 FENCE POST
4 MITERED POST CAPS (OR MAKE YOUR OWN)
1 METAL PLANT HANGER
PAINT
WOOD GLUE
2 ½ INCH SCREWS

I wanted to make a plant hanger to add to my fence grouping and decided to make one out of a fence post.
fence post plant hanger
4 Mitered Fence Caps painted white.
fence post plant hanger
A saw was used to notch out the center brace inside the post cap so it would fit down on top of the fence post.

fence post plant hanger
The two pieces were glued together. C clamps were used to hold the pieces tight while drying.

fence post plant hanger
The two sets of post caps were then glued together. Again, C clamps were used to hold the pieces together while drying.

fence post plant hanger
A coat of paint was applied to the fence post.
fence post plant hanger
Two wooden blocks of wood were used for fence spacers. 2 ½ inch screws were used to mount the fence post to the wooden fence.  

fence post plant hanger
Two coats of paint were applied to the fence post caps.

2 ½ inch screws were used to mount the fence post to the fence.  The fence cap was placed on top of the fence post and screwed to the fence to keep cap in place.  
fence post plant hanger
A plant hanger was attached to the post with two screws that came with the hanger.    
fence post plant hanger
The finished product.
fence post plant hanger
My finished Fence grouping. I love how it turned out!
fence post plant hanger

• List Of Supplies Needed: 1 4X4 FENCE POST 4 MITERED POST CAPS (OR MAKE YOUR OWN) 1 METAL PLANT HANGER PAINT WOOD GLUE 2 ½ INCH SCREWS

• Rob Patrick

Can't you buy a cap that will go over a post without gluing four pieces together?

• Jody

You can buy half finials. They will work on top of the 2 x 4 perfectly. Just be sure you buy one that isn't larger side to side than 3.5 inches. I have done this many times and that is what I have used.

• Kathy Wood

Not a question. Several have commented on putting or painting a curtain on the window but I agree, it could be too busy. How about painting the glass blue, or the fence square area behind it, if the glass is gone ?

• Jody

I just put a mirror. It really looks like a real window. I have had one on my shed for many years to break up a big plain wall.

• FL

Love this! Where did you get the plant hanger with the bird? You are magical!!!!!