How can I seal old chipped wood?

Cas2847423Kelly BlackwoodKarla McClary Robinson
+10

I have a few amazing pieces that are old and the paint is chipping. I love them just the way they are but hate the flakes that constantly come off! What to do so it's not a mess but doesn't mess with the look? I'm not worried about value. Here's a picture of one.
  • E s desanna
    E s desanna

I 'd like to know this, too. I have screen frames in my kitchen that are original to my 1940's house. I'd like to keep the flake-y look, but halt the progression.
  • Rlh5819414
    Rlh5819414

I have read that spraying with shellac will stop the flaking. I have not tried this yet.
  • C. D. Scallan
    C. D. Scallan

Spray Rustolium clear coat sealant on them . I'd use more than one coat to ensure proper coverage .
  • A
    A

A matte finish spray fixative will be the least visible, but you will need to re-spray eventually.
  • Kris
    Kris

Sand paper and stain or outdoor paint should do the trick...
  • Kristil Albof
    Kristil Albof

Yes use a clear coat matte spray . You might also want to kind of rub off the really REALLY chippy pieces a bit first before you spray. Let dry thoroughly then spray again for extra protection. Assuming you plan on keeping it in the house or out of the elements on a covered porch... 😊
  • Questar
    Questar

Krylon Clear Acrylic spray is a possibility - might want to contact them first.
  • MrsSherri
    MrsSherri

I saw on "Flee Market Flip" that you make a solution of three to one wood glue & water. Use a high quality brush and paint it on. It will save the pealing paint, an not expose you to the lead paint.
  • Karla McClary Robinson
    Karla McClary Robinson

Any easy way is to dilute wood glue with water to a spreadable consistency then apply it using a paint brush. This stops the flaking and seals it!
  • Kelly Blackwood
    Kelly Blackwood

be very careful because the old paint most likely contains lead and it only takes a very small amount of lead to poison a child which can have long lasting effects.
  • Cas2847423
    Cas2847423

I "seal" items that are going to be out of the weather with Mod podge.