How to wash a Longaberger basket fabric insert?

Chas' Crazy CreationsMichelleCynthia H
+4

I have several Longaberger baskets with the fabric insert. They came from a house of smokers. How can I wash them but have them keep their original look? Would "Oxyclean" be safe and should I wash them by hand? I'm trying to get rid of both the smoky look and aroma out of the fabric. I don't want to ruin them as they're all over 20 years old age.
The fabric is actually a cream color but note the brown smoke stain around the top of the fabric.
  • Deborah Coyner Petch
    Deborah Coyner Petch

definitely hand wash. First soak it overnight in a mixture of liquid laundry detergent, baking soda and warm water. In the morning, gently wring out the fabric, rinse, and wring again. Roll it up in a towel before the final wringout. Then, if you have one of the plastic inserts, put it over that (upside down) while drying. If not, shape it as best as you can as it dries, to lessen the need for ironing.
    • Bren
      Bren

Sounds like you've done this before. and I appreciate mentioning placing the fabric over the plastic liner, which I do have. I never would have thought of that. Thanks again for the great information.
  • Just Retired
    Just Retired

those baskets are collector items and fetch a good price in antique shops. I would personally have them dry cleaned. Then you'll be guaranteed results with no shrinkage
    • Bren
      Bren

Also a good recommendation, thank you for the suggestion.
  • Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

I had success soaking mine in oxyclean and washing them by hand, and then air drying them.
  • Michelle
    Michelle

I wash them in the machine, but place them in a starch bath, then lay flay to dry.
  • Chas' Crazy Creations
    Chas' Crazy Creations

Here is an article that might be helpful - http://www.ehow.com/how_4856832_clean-longaberger-baskets.html - good luck