Is there anything I can put out to make the mice leave my apartment?

+7
I live in an old (1910) rented two-family house in Boston. I can not have a cat.

• Castrang17 Castrang17 on Jul 02, 2017
    Purchase Oil of Peppermint, not imitation. Oil of Peppermint is available at some grocery stores, some super stores and always at health food stores. Buy a package of cotton balls. Apply a few drops of the peppermint oil to the cotton balls and place them around your apartment. The peppermint burns the lungs of the mice and they will leave. It is humane, as it does not kill them, just tells them to leave. You will have to replenish the drops on the cotton balls about every two weeks. You can also put a few drops of the peppermint and add water to a spray bottle, spray around the baseboards or any where you think the mice are entering. You may suggest this to your apartment neighbors too, if you have them, they do too. If acceptable by your landlord, spray the hallways. They may enter by coming under your door, spray a towel, roll it, secure with a few rubber bands and place it inside your apartment door. I hope you like peppermint!
    • PamPam PamPam on Jul 03, 2017
      Thank you. I have heard peppermint, but assumed it was just something that was said, but not really true.
  • Mary Ellen Erdman Mary Ellen Erdman on Jul 02, 2017
    Mice dislike peppermint. Infuse water with peppermint oil and spray it all around.
  • Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Jul 02, 2017
    First you'll want to figure out how they are getting in and fix that. That will stop more from moving in. Here is an article that might be helpful for you -

- good luck
    • PamPam PamPam on Jul 03, 2017
      Chas, I can not possibly fill all the cracks in this house with basement and attic, but thank you. By the way, your link did not open.
  • Gwen  yanda Gwen yanda on Jul 02, 2017
    Put a plant of mint in your apartment. Mice or rodents do not like mint.
  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jul 02, 2017
    Has the landlord had an exterminator come in? If that didn't help, blocking any areas they can get in, and peppermint oil has helped in the past. Steel wool and copper mesh help seal areas. Removing any source of food, also.
  • Chances are they are in your walls - you need an exterminator.
  • Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Jul 03, 2017
    I fixed the link, give it a try now
  • Carolyn Carolyn on Aug 29, 2019

Will try it out...thanks to the tip