Mike Montgomery
Mike Montgomery
  • Oklahoma City, OK

HOW TO BUILD A GREENHOUSE

$400

This greenhouse is a relatively simple design and is a great project if you're jusr getting started with construction materials and framing. Framed completely from 2x4's this sturdy greenhouse is completely customizable to fit your needs. Want a bigger greenhouse? Go for it. Need a smaller greenhouse? Pare this design down to just the right size for you. All the written instructions follow along with the included build video to help everything make more sense. Lets get started!
All the written instructions follow along with the included build video to help everything make more sense. Lets get started!
how to build a greenhouse
The wall are constructed using really basic construction methods. I spaced the studs 24" on center.
how to build a greenhouse
Once i had four walls I stood them up and connected them together. I used clamps to hold everything in place while standing them up.
how to build a greenhouse
The roof is made up of three triangular supports that 2x4'rafters' are connected to.
how to build a greenhouse
how to build a greenhouse
I got some help from some friends to lift the roof into place once it was built. I used screws to attach it to the rest of the frame.
how to build a greenhouse
The shelf system (more info in video) is tied into the studs to make everything more sturdy.
how to build a greenhouse
There are definitely cheaper options, but I chose to use clear corrugated panels.
how to build a greenhouse
how to build a greenhouse
Thanks a lot or checking out the project. Obviously this was a really big project and hard to fit into a photo slideshow, so be sure and check out the video and written article on RyobiNation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwOmUN5B4FY

To see more: http://www.modernbuilds.com/

• Lil23234899

First of all, GREAT PROJECT! Finally a project that I would like to use.
    Where and how can I get a printed copy of your instructions for this Great Greenhouse. lilmoe25@hotmail.com
  • David Harvey

How hot does it get I the summer months?
    • Lss25522682

I have a green house that I bought 2 years ago. It is solid for the winter. I go to my summer camp twice during the winter to unload the roof full of snow.
      Concerning your question I notices that when it's 62 F and sunny the temperature goes up to 110 F. Very hot. I open the door and the window that is on the roof. When I have to leave for a couple of days I transfer all my plants in an old Canvas Garage that I had bought for my car during winter and I find it better to use during the summer. There is a difference of about 14 F lower in my old garage. The plants are beautiful and I, already, have 5 small tomatoe
      s.
    • Jewellmartin

Since we live in Texas, I would definitely want a simple foundation and four straps all the way over the roof and back to the foundation. I would probably want either blue or green on the roof, even if I had to paint one coat of paint to block some of the summer heat. I'm short, so I would want two flaps lower down that I could I could tie from inside for cross-ventilation. Since I would not leave a lantern burning all night in the winter, I would run a weather-resistant electric line so I could turn one or two lights on when needed. The video shows some important construction basics, too. Best wishes 😇
  • Rena Noele

Do you have some way of closing off the rippled openings where the edges of the corrogated panels meet the frame? I'm thinking mainly to keep the bugs out, but in colder areas, to limit ventilation when needed.
    • Eddie dyson

The lumber yards sell strips to fit these edges.
    • Rena Noele

Thanks for answering so quickly. Great to know there's something meant for those openings.
  • Ann

Very nice - I love my greenhouse , but it has crashed 3x due to snow. any idea how much of a snow load yours could take?

• Lisa Vanbeselaere

Don't know what the snow load would be, but by the diagram the pitch of the roof is 12/12. I have also had panels on my greenhouse collapsed due to snow, but our house has a pitch of 12/12 and it never has snow on it. 12/12 pitch roof is used in high snow areas, like the mountains chalets.
    • Hog23808597

One could also put on a tin roof. Tin for strength and tin also creates heat.
  • Jacquelyne May

Oh, I'd love to make this for a cute little tool shed. I love how simply you put it together, using tools everyone has. Now what would be the best way to prevent termites?
  • Dawn Renee' Lemons Freeman

As a native Texan, I curious--did you anchor it to the ground in case of tornadoes or high wind?

Love this, BTW! A friend and I have been talking about greenhouses all week!
  • DORLIS

do you plan on heating it in the winter? I would love to have a place for my house plants in the winter, but in Midssouri, would have to heat.
  • Catherine Reardon

How many 2x4s did you use? What is your material list?