Installing a Summer Shade Sail (Cheap Alternative to an Awning)

$150

If you are looking to grab some shade this summer but aren't in the for the expense of an awning or porch, install a shade sail. These large fabric canopies are suspended in the air, giving your outdoor space some much needed shade!

They are great in place of awnings, over kids' play areas, and they come in handy during parties. They're easy to install and an inexpensive solution.
First, I determined the exact location of where the shade sail would go. We had an open patio that got extremely hot during the summer months and a shade sail was the perfect and budget-friendly solution.
After purchasing the materials and determining the exact location, I installed two posts in the dirt next to our patio. I did this by digging holes and filling them with concrete. We later stained these wooden posts to match our existing deck.
Then, I secured the hardware to the house, along with the shade sail. This part was extremely simple - I just had to tighten it enough so the shade sail wouldn't sag.
The shade sail easily can be removed for the winter or stormy weather. It takes just minutes to unlatch the sail. For the inexpensive cost, it was an awesome way to keep the hot sun away - and was a very simple project.

• Shade sail
  • Wooden posts
  • Concrete

Eileen

• Suzie 50

I have been trying to figure out a way to make and sew just this, but the attatchement was a mystery to me. Thank you for showing the solution! Now I have just got to assemble a sail outfit!

• Faisal latif

Here is the all types of shades manufacturer & supplier you can contact for help