Felecia Johnson
Felecia Johnson
  • Fort Payne, AL

Kitchen Cabinet redo

Cheap redo on a rental house.
My kitchen cabinets in my rental... The cabinet in my rental look horrible. I don't want to invest in a lot of money since it's a rental so I set out to find a cheap redo. I stripped the old finish to find beautiful stained wood. I took the hardware off and my husband took them to work and sandblasted the old finish off then I spray painted them. I used Briwax to seal them instead of putting money into varnish since I don't own the house. I'm happy with the results.

• NancyMaria

What did you use?????????
    • Felecia Johnson

Kitchen Cabinet redo 364 Views Felecia Johnson Felecia Johnson HometalkerFort Payne, AL Saved Organize Cheap redo on a rental house. kitchen cabinet redo, kitchen cabinets, painting, My kitchen cabinets in my rental The cabinet in my rental look horrible I don t want to invest in a lot of money since it s a rental so I set out to find a cheap redo I stripped the old finish to find beautiful stained wood I took the hardware off and my husband took them to work and sandblasted the old finish off then I spray painted them I used Briwax to seal them instead of putting money into varnish since I don t own the house I m happy with the resultsMy kitchen cabinets in my rental... The cabinet in my rental look horrible. I don't want to invest in a lot of money since it's a rental so I set out to find a cheap redo. I stripped the old finish to find beautiful stained wood. I took the hardware off and my husband took them to work and sandblasted the old finish off then I spray painted them. I used Briwax to seal them instead of putting money into varnish since I don't own the house. I'm happy with the results. Add Hashtags Got a question about this project? 1 Question on This Project – What did you use????????? NancyMaria NancyMaria Elko, NV asked Yesterday Join the Conversation! Add a Comment 4 of 4 comments Nmk3 Nmk3 Wharton, NJ Wow! Lots of work, but love the finished product. I am sweating a Reply 3 Jan Felecia Johnson Felecia Johnson Fort Payne, AL Thank you! I was a lot of work we had 20 cabinets to do! When we moved Reply 3 Jan Felecia Johnson Felecia Johnson Fort Payne, AL I used a stripping gel called Citristrip. (Got at Home Depot & Lowes) It took a lot but I had 21 cabnets. Then I rinsed them down once they dried I sanded them lightly with a fine grain sand paper. Sealed them with a tinted Briwax (I ordered online can't remember where) but with the Briwax it will have to be resealed once a year. I dried any water off of them asap not to cause water marks. So you may want to consider poly seal. The handle were sandblasted then given a new coat of paint but I guess they could have been sanded by hand. If it hadn't been a rental house I probably would have bought new hardware instead of painting. I also took the doors off to do them numbered them so I could put them up back in order. I didn't strip all the way to bare wood just removed grime & all the top coats. I also spray painted the hinges.

• Felecia Johnson

I used a stripping gel called Citristrip. (Got at Home Depot & Lowes) It took a lot but I had 21 cabnets. Then I rinsed them down once they dried I sanded them lightly with a fine grain sand paper. Sealed them with a tinted Briwax (I ordered online can't remember where) but with the Briwax it will have to be resealed once a year. I dried any water off of them asap not to cause water marks. So you may want to consider poly seal. The handle were sandblasted then given a new coat of paint but I guess they could have been sanded by hand. If it hadn't been a rental house I probably would have bought new hardware instead of painting.
  • Felecia Johnson

Oh I took the doors off numbered them to be sure I put them back in the same spot. I also spray painted the hinges too.