Pool Deck and Gazebo

$20000
1 Month

This is a before and after project I did with the help of my son . He bought the house and it came with a pool but the entrance to the pool wasnt very nice to say the least . We decided to give it a update .
This is a before picture of what they had for a deck entrance .
Once the snow was gone we tore off the old landing and then poured footings for the new deck and gazebo .
My son wanted to have the deck and gazebo all together which I think was a great idea .  All the main floor joist are in and ready for decking .
All of the decking and building materials are white cedar .
The gazebo is 18 foot diameter , nice and big for large gatherings .
More progress pictures .
We added lighting inside the gazebo and a light on each post around the pool .
The deck around the pool is 6 feet wide , plenty of room to walk around . There is also plenty of storage space below . We added a few double doors below for easy access .
Here is a shot to show the size of it now . Much nicer than what was there :-) All of the railings were done with aluminum balusters . It took a day just to drill all of the holes for them .
A few final shots ! :-)
It was a great project to do and gave me a chance to spend some quality time with my son . He is a roofer by trade so he took care of the roof :-)

• Cheryl

Did you bury part of the pool in the ground or is it sitting on top of the ground?
    • Mwasson1027

Looks like an above ground pool with the decking built around it. I had to give it a double take because it looked like the pool had been lowered, but it's the decking.
    • John Looser

Yes the pool is sitting flush with the ground .
  • Paperdoll

Beautiful workmanship, but I just can't imagine spending $20,000. on an old above ground pool. What happens to all of that when the pool fails?
    • Sandra

Beautifully constructed and what a joy your family will have in warm weather. You and your son should be extremely proud of your achievement.
    • Bre21259784

I agree with Sandra!!???
    • Christine Paula

you and your son did an amazing job! Such talent you two have! You will have many years of enjoyment with your family and friends!
    • Charly

1jgilp, what makes you think the pool will fail?
    • Molly

That is fantastic! You can see it is very well made and will last for years. I love that you also thought to make doors for storage & gate to the pool. I can see enjoying it in the spring and fall when the pool is closed. Great outdoor area! (If they can build that, I'm sure they could replace the pool or liner w/ their eyes closed) :)
    • Ann Harris DeHart

This $20k investment would have cost at least twice that amount if they had built an inground pool also. The "illusion" of an inground pool is maximized by the incredibly beautiful workmanship and affords the family and guests year-round pleasure. What's not to like???

• Joe

amazing workmanship! The detail in the whole project from the decking and storage areas to the little details on the gazebo!
    • Joe

• Joe

• Joe

• Paperdoll

I was asked "what makes me think the pool will fail. Above ground pools have a life span of 10 to 15 years under the best circumstances. Liners need to be changed, etc., etc. Climate makes a difference and very cold and very hot areas shorten the lifespan. I just think it would have been more economical, in the long run, to go for an in ground pool to be installed. Beautiful millwork and construction was done on this job, but in my mind, not practical at $20,000.
    • John Looser

If the pool ever failed then we would either find a replacement or fill the rest in with decking .It will never be wasted :-)
    • Julie Cain Newman

We had an above ground pool that lasted over 20 years with a liner replacement. I absolutely love this, and if we could afford this or had the talent to build it, I would do it!
  • Twr15393960

How do you plan on changing th pool liner?
  • Va28291583

How are you going to cover the pool for the winter, and do the maintenance
    • Nancy Anderson Kracl

They sound like handy guys. I'm sure they've got that figured out.
    • Zanjero Johnson

That would be so easy.

• Zanjero Johnson

I have similar design, not as pretty but its not that hard to get the pool liner installed.. He didn't leave himself a problem. I'm sure he thought of this before he installed this beautiful deck. Very impressive
    • Bir5166137

What a beautiful job!
    • John Looser

We built this about 5 years ago now and there are no problems taking care of the pool .
  • Joanie

Are you planning on staining and adding railings up the steps????
    • Ami

I hope not. It's perfect the way it is
    • Linda Nicola

It needs step railings for safety.
    • John Looser

The railings on the steps were added shortly after these pictures . As far as staining the deck no it was left natural .
  • Rockie LeVac

What do you do when it comes time to change the pool liner?
    • Pam7054242

First you make sure the present liner is not the over the edge type. lf it is replace with the hanging style so you will not have to remove the decking to replace.
  • Selina Huston

How do you cover it in the winte. We have one similar to this with a deck around and my husband says he can't cover it
    • Jewellmartin

If you got a citation, for instance, what would your husband do? If nothing else, large tarps could be overlapped and ties or planks used for security and support from all that snow. You ought to see my neighborhood when a bad hailstorm has hit here in Texas. It's like a tent city--on top of the roofs! Best wishes 😇
  • Sus17320326

How much lumber and price to do this job?
    Beautiful job.!!!!!!!

• Michael Uritescu

did you have plans or are you a carpenter by trade.
    • John

I was a home builder for 25 years . Everything I do is off the top of my head. No plans
  • Jordan Le Bouton

May I hire the two of you? I love the gazebo.
  • Carrie Thomas

Did this really cost $20,000? I thought Canadian dollars weren't too far off from America, exchange wise. If something happens to the pool underneath is there a way to access it? Can you access top edges if liner needed replacement?
    • Julie Cain Newman

According to the rates when we were there in April, this would cost about $27,000 here in the states, which is very believable since we spent several thousand just on a partial deck at our pool. This deck is all the way around and that gazebo is absolutely gorgeous. Plus he did wood under the deck all the way around.
    • Marcie Davis

Plus they used Cedar which is a more expensive wood but it is suggested because it handles water better. Wonder if Yella Wood or a "water treated" wood would work? My sister did this to her above ground pool and we enjoyed it so much. You can actually put chairs on the deck that is all the way around his pool. How nice! Looks like a great place for a wedding...(first thing I thought of...LOL). It looks GREAT!
    • John

Yes the cedar cost a fair bit more than regular wood . The main frame is all pressure treated wood which cost mire too . The railings were close to 3,000 dollars . All aluminum. Then lighting on every post. The labour was free . We built the entire thing on weekends over a 6 -8 period
  • Leila Fincham

Awesome!!! Question...How do you change the liner with the wood covering the top rails of the pool?
    • John

The decking is screwed down so all we did is remove the first row of decking then put it back after the liner was done .
  • Jim17697377

Beautiful! Like skylight in gazebo. But where is the BBQ? Ha ha very well done.
  • Laurie

Beautiful! But if the pool frame ever rusts, won't it be difficult to remove it and replace it now?
  • Sue Sanders

Notice that the wood comes down to the ground. What will keep the wood from eventually rotting where it touches the ground?
  • Eilene Bodnar

Gorgeous!! But how would you change pool liner? 😉
    • Deborah Cripple

The same way you would if there was no deck!
      The pool disassembles from the top!
      There would be no problem changing out the liner...
      It looks beautiful!

• John Looser

Yes changing the liner was pretty easy . Just removed the first row of decking. It is all screwed down .
  • NancyMarie Hendricks

WOW~ That is absolutely BEAUTIFUL, I know a lot of hard work but such beautiful craftsmanship! How long did it take you to complete this project start to finish and approximately what was the cost? I bet you and your son enjoyed that and will always remember that experience!! AMAZING!
    • John Looser

We worked on this on weekeds over a 6 week period
    • Mary Ewing

beautiful, I could never get it done in 6 years let alone 6 weeks, hubby likes to golf. So beautiful.
  • Ma Tin

A beautiful gazebo! Exactly what we're looking to have built next to our lake. Is this your own design or did you follow plans?
  • Chi22699061

What a feat this was, hate to say almost too nice... however I have an observation.
    What is that darker post/pole to the left, is that a power line?
    It looks like it to me, isn't that a too little close to being near the water or is that code?
    None the less, and this is just a safety concern, I'd taken the tire to use burial cable to the pool equipment (filter, heater? etc).

• John Looser

No that is the clothes line from the house :-)
    • Irene Hankins

Beautiful work! What kind of stain is being applied inside and out to reple the moisture and enhance the look of the beautiful wood. That must have taken 6-8 weeks to build . I'd hate to see it deteriorate!
    • Joan

or the gate frame... just looks darker.
    • Rosel Kynast

Love, love the whole project.
      Can I com and house sit for you guy's??/
      Love that you have the pool closed off with the door.
      So now you can entertain with out worry,
      if you have little ones around.
    • Chi22699061

John, thanks for clarify it's the clothes line, I now can tell in the one photo what I thought were wires must be rope?
      So is there power to the pool filter?
      I remember as a kid laying down a 100 ft. heavy duty extension cord to the filter from our house, the connection ended up in a puddle of water...
      the Ground did it's job as after I had realized I stepped into the puddle to unplug the cord... I Learned a Valuable Lesson that day, that was 45 years ago.

• Dawn Renee' Lemons Freeman

Burying electrical cables, even for an above-ground pool, would be exceptionally dangerous. Very few people would "hard-wire" an above ground pool due to the propensity for damage to the liner and the short "life expectancy" of the electrical equipment. Even with in ground pools, wiring is allowed in conduits BUT all connections and outlets must be above ground and the water level. With a pool like this, that would create more problems and dangers.
    • Chi22699061

Then again I've seen people using a propane BBQ on a party boat...
      like is said "I had to ask".
    • Det24462867

That's not a clothes line .It's hooked to the side of the deck
    • Chi22699061

Detharp, this is what I received earlier...

John Looser·answered 3 hours ago·

• Chi22699061

And the two line (clothes) goes all the way to the taller & dark at the left-side of the Pool... look closer!!
  • Lin15904645

Did. Your husband design it hemself or got the instructions and design off line
  • Sta21990204

Amazing......how much did this cost? Looks quite expensive.
    • John Looser

It cost roughly $ 20,000 for all the wood , metal railings and all the lighting.
    • Jill Asam Marks-Jennings

LOOKS AWESOME! GREAT JOB!! :)
    • Geraldine Chislett

Add an answer...I think it shows at the beginning the price was $20,000
    • Jewellmartin

Okay. Then say $20,000 if you had to pay labor. $40,000 is about what it would cost to pay professionals to add on a master bedroom with a spa bathroom. That's sound fair to me. Best wishes 😇
  • S Shafran

What color are you going to stain it and protect the wood?
  • Dot10441887

Without question the nicests looking installation for a liner pool I have ever seej! But how do you change that liner? Will you have to take up all the deck boards?
    • John Looser

The deck is screwed down .All we had to do is remove the first row to replace the liner .
    • Marie Oriol-Lavalle

I'm not lying when I tell you that this is the very same question that was running through my mind...thanks for asking.
  • Kate Waters

It looks fantastic! Are you a carpenter? If not it is very impressive for a diy
    person without a carpentry background. Also, aprox. how much did it cost you to do?
    • John Looser

Yes I am a retired carpenter . I have been around woodworking all my life .

• Kate Waters

It certainly showcased your skill. Well done!
  • Deb M

On a scale of 1-10 how hard would you rate this project ?
    also cost ?.
    • Djl21383908

10
    • Audrey Karwandy

10....looks awesome!
    • Janis

12
    • Susan Bottary

10+++ That looks Fantastic!
    • Cedric Nowicki

12 Let the Bands Play.
    • Charlene

Stunning ! Best above ground pool that is exceedingly attractive!! Enjoy!!
    • Car19035551

look up top guys it took a month. two guys a son and father and obviously they are skilled carpenters and or contruction workers. they said it cost 20,000.00 bucks to do, if you were to pay someone you would double that fee although depending on their schedule it may only take a couple to few weeks, they usually have a crew or can get one. This is really awesome although I would have done it around a bigger pool.
  • Char

This is FANTASICALLY BEAUTIFUL..........what is the finished cost of a project like this?
  • Helen Blakeley

How long did this project take? My husband is disabled and cannot do many things anymore. What would it cost for someone to do this for us??
  • Sharon Huneycutt Harris

This is beautiful and you did a great job. My question might be if you need to do pool repairs or replace the pool in the future, should you leave at least one section open for access?
    • Geneva Craven Schult

He mentioned they added several sets of double doors adjacent to pool for repairs

• John

Yes there are access doors on both sides and double access doors at the far back
  • Nancy Forni

Love it so if I give you my address would you come and build the same one for. For a price of cause!
  • Debbie Hawley

What was the finished cost? And... What happens when that above ground pool needs to be replaced now that it is completely enclosed?
    • Kristy Stout Good

My brother in law just replaced his above ground pool last year. It was 30 years old. I'm thinking that's not a huge problem. :)
  • Jdu7329423

Where is and how do you maintain the filter?
    • John Looser

There is a small access panel on the top of the deck for easy cleaning .
    • Mary Lowe

GOOD FOR YOU SOME PEOPLE THINK OTHERS ARE STUPID NOT TO THINK OF THAT GREAT JOB

• Ian25001164

Hi john just wondering what type of tile you used on the roof or was it a felt that looked like a tile because it is so flat . Great job though built one like it but more of a Chinese style
    • Kim Floyd

Are you talking about the shingles on top of roof?
    • John Looser

They are 45 year asphalt shingles .
    • Janet Seiber

They look like dimensional shingles. You can find them everywhere and in a tong of colors. Some look like wood shakes. BTW, to the folks who built these, you did an awesome job!
  • Mary Ortiz

Looks great. What happens with the surround decking if something happens to the pool or you need to replace the pool?
  • Paul Verbitsky

What happens when the pool needs replacing? Is half of that detachable?
    • John Looser

The pool is in very good shape with a new liner now . If he ever needs to find another one years for now and cant then he will fill the center in with decking .
  • Catherine Moulton

What will happen if the pool needs new liner? Looks like deck is over too fails of pool.
    • Carol Merrill

You need to have 3" of clearance from the rail to the deck frame. That will give you enough space to stretch a new liner over.
  • Patricia Parker

This looks great, you supported the pool in making it safer to use. I love the concept but how do I stick a liner on it for the winter time? I was also noticing the liner, from time to time the liner needs replacing, the deck supersedes the pool by a marginal error, how will you replace the liner when the time comes? You did a great job.
    • Pamela Amann

We have a 30 ' round pool. We put winter cover on and use 2x6 boards on top of cover and nail ends of boards to the deck. It holds it down in winter winds .
      In spring easily remove 2 nails from ends and remove cover.
    • Loi7302573

that's great for the pool cover, but I, too, am curious how you would replace the liner when needed?
    • John Looser

To change the liner all my son did was remove the first row of decking .It only takes 10 minutes to remove it . Screwed down ! :-)
  • Cre28405736

Looks amazing John. The detail is outstanding.
    The only question I have is where is his birdhouse?
  • Jna15294919

How would you replace the pool if it needs replacing??
  • AmishGazebos

Well done. That is an excellent gazebo and pool deck. How long did it take you to complete the project?