Chris
Chris
  • Whittier, CA

Simple Wall Organizer Thing

1 Material
$40

This project can be made with some plywood and either a table saw or circular saw as long as the blade can tilt. You can make it any size that works for you :-)
Here is a video that shows the same process as the images and text below. If any of the steps are confusing I would suggest checking out the video as you can see me moving so it might be more descriptive.
simple wall organizer thing
I'm using baltic birch plywood (3/4") but you could use anything you'd like. Start off by cutting two pieces to your desired size. Leave them slightly over-sized at this point. I'm going for 18" x 54"
simple wall organizer thing
Cut one of the boards into lots of strips. This will determine how far apart your groves are going to be. I'm making mine about 6"
simple wall organizer thing
Set your blade to determine how angled you want your hangers to be. I'm going for 15* off of 90. Once you set it, lock it down and leave it.
simple wall organizer thing
cut an end off of each strip so that you're left with a series of parallelograms.
simple wall organizer thing
Pay attention to the orientation during the step above so that you DON'T end up with a trapezoid.
simple wall organizer thing
I'm using a nailer to make the glue up go faster, but you could use glue and clamps, or screw from behind. Either way, what you do is laminate your top strip to the big board, then use a couple spacers (3/4" - off cuts from the same sheet) and set your next board. Work your way down the entire piece until it is totally covered.
simple wall organizer thing
At this point it should be too long, so here I'm just cutting the excess flush for a cleaner look.
simple wall organizer thing
Now we can start making our shelves and pegs. For the shelves I'm leaving the blade titled the same, just raising it up. Cut the piece vertical along your fence...be safe. You can see I made a jig that rides on my fence so I can keep my hands really far from the blade.
simple wall organizer thing
This pictures illustrates what you'll end up with after you cut the back off of the shelf.
simple wall organizer thing
I also cut a bunch of pegs of varying size. Thinner ones for things like keys, and thicker ones for back packs, jackets, etc...
simple wall organizer thing
You can mount it to the wall however you like. I used a french cleat. I also painted a couple boards to make it slightly more interesting. Good luck! Check out the video (in first pic) it might explain things a little better.