The Budget Backsplash Project

$76

In the interest of doing Pinterest on a budget, I searched non tile backsplash. Tile is great but it a little more expensive and a little harder to do yourself. As I move upstairs into my bathroom, I will be doing tile and creating the e course on that, but for the simplicity and budget in a kitchen I chose a different path. After doing some searching on Pinterest, I happened upon shiplap backsplashes.
As you can see, there has never really been a backsplash.  Just drywall with paint is super hard to keep clean and dry especially behind the sink! 
I headed out to Lowe’s (I know, Menard’s is my favorite but they don’t carry true shiplap– so disappointing! )  The pine I found is $11.97 for 14 square feet.  I needed just about 30 square feet so I would need to buy 3 for a total of $35.91 plus tax.  While I was looking it over, I spied some reclaimed wood planking that kept drawing my attention.  I just couldn’t quit looking over at it and I decided that although it was more expensive, it was really cheap for a backsplash still.  This was $21.97 per 14 square feet for a total of $65.91. Design Innovations Reclaimed 3.5-in x 4-ft Weathered Wood Cedar Wall Plank .
I decided that what I used needed to be grey to go with the rest of the house and match the cabinets better so I chose Minwax Classic Grey Stain from Lowe’s for a cost of about $10.00.
I stained the boards and wiped the stain back.
Once they were dry I started putting the boards up. After all the boards were in place and nailed in, I sealed it with Minwax Polyurethane and caulked with clear caulk where the backsplash meets the countertop for waterproofing.
The result?  A fabulous looking budget backsplash for about $76.00 plus tax!

16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Jodi Jackson

• Jan
    Jan

I absolutely love this !! It’s all so beautiful and I also need to know the color of the cabinets ? Your kitchen is almost my size kitchen and I have been fearful to paint them dark gray but you did it and it is awesome !!!

• Alisa Howard
    Alisa Howard

What is polycryli?

• Cathy
      Cathy

Poly acrylic is a water based sealer. Doesn't yellow like polyurethane.

• Jean
    Jean

What did you use behind the stove. Since wood is not recommended

• Gilmer Gal
      Gilmer Gal

Wood behind her stove should be fine since the oven has a backsplash on it.

• Jeniffer Stapher-Thomas
    Jeniffer Stapher-Thomas

The backsplash is gorgeous and tied the kitchen design together perfectly!

• KENNETH
    KENNETH

We are going to paint top cabinets and bottom cabinets two different tones if gray and have been searing for backsplash ideas. Think we have now found it. Never would have thought of this idea, thank you for sharing.