The Budget Backsplash Project

$76

In the interest of doing Pinterest on a budget, I searched non tile backsplash. Tile is great but it a little more expensive and a little harder to do yourself. As I move upstairs into my bathroom, I will be doing tile and creating the e course on that, but for the simplicity and budget in a kitchen I chose a different path. After doing some searching on Pinterest, I happened upon shiplap backsplashes.
As you can see, there has never really been a backsplash.  Just drywall with paint is super hard to keep clean and dry especially behind the sink! 
I headed out to Lowe’s (I know, Menard’s is my favorite but they don’t carry true shiplap– so disappointing! )  The pine I found is $11.97 for 14 square feet.  I needed just about 30 square feet so I would need to buy 3 for a total of $35.91 plus tax.  While I was looking it over, I spied some reclaimed wood planking that kept drawing my attention.  I just couldn’t quit looking over at it and I decided that although it was more expensive, it was really cheap for a backsplash still.  This was $21.97 per 14 square feet for a total of $65.91. Design Innovations Reclaimed 3.5-in x 4-ft Weathered Wood Cedar Wall Plank .
I decided that what I used needed to be grey to go with the rest of the house and match the cabinets better so I chose Minwax Classic Grey Stain from Lowe’s for a cost of about $10.00.
I stained the boards and wiped the stain back.
Once they were dry I started putting the boards up. After all the boards were in place and nailed in, I sealed it with Minwax Polyurethane and caulked with clear caulk where the backsplash meets the countertop for waterproofing.
The result?  A fabulous looking budget backsplash for about $76.00 plus tax!

3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Jodi Jackson

• Vickie

Love the look. Is it difficult to keep Shiplap backsplash clean?

• Kim

I love the kitchen cabinets. I am debating on doing mine but a little hesitant. Is this chalk paint with a glaze. What color are the cabinets

• Desiree

Can the shiplap be put over tile. Thanks for your help.

• Trish
      15 minutes ago

I'm following this as we also have tile that's ugly

• Pam-ella

It's beautiful but when we moved into our home, there was wood for the backsplash. I wanted tile & when we ripped out the wood there was mold under there. So just be cautious.

• Kathy
    Yesterday

Nice & I love your cabinets too!!