The Budget Backsplash Project

$76

In the interest of doing Pinterest on a budget, I searched non tile backsplash. Tile is great but it a little more expensive and a little harder to do yourself. As I move upstairs into my bathroom, I will be doing tile and creating the e course on that, but for the simplicity and budget in a kitchen I chose a different path. After doing some searching on Pinterest, I happened upon shiplap backsplashes.
As you can see, there has never really been a backsplash.  Just drywall with paint is super hard to keep clean and dry especially behind the sink! 
I headed out to Lowe’s (I know, Menard’s is my favorite but they don’t carry true shiplap– so disappointing! )  The pine I found is $11.97 for 14 square feet.  I needed just about 30 square feet so I would need to buy 3 for a total of $35.91 plus tax.  While I was looking it over, I spied some reclaimed wood planking that kept drawing my attention.  I just couldn’t quit looking over at it and I decided that although it was more expensive, it was really cheap for a backsplash still.  This was $21.97 per 14 square feet for a total of $65.91. Design Innovations Reclaimed 3.5-in x 4-ft Weathered Wood Cedar Wall Plank .
I decided that what I used needed to be grey to go with the rest of the house and match the cabinets better so I chose Minwax Classic Grey Stain from Lowe’s for a cost of about $10.00.
I stained the boards and wiped the stain back.
Once they were dry I started putting the boards up. After all the boards were in place and nailed in, I sealed it with Minwax Polyurethane and caulked with clear caulk where the backsplash meets the countertop for waterproofing.
The result?  A fabulous looking budget backsplash for about $76.00 plus tax!

Jodi Jackson

• Teresa

I am also interested in your painted cabinets. That's awsome. Did you do them? If so, How! They are bbeautiful. I Love them.

• Ardale

Love your cabinet color and your backsplash coordinates with them so nicely. I was wondering how you brought your outlet and switch boxes out to meet your shiplap siding? Figuring that out is what is stopping me from doing my backsplash although I will be using tiles they will require knowing how to pull or extend the electric boxes out from the wall far enough that my box covers fit flush on the tile. I'll be doing this myself and am not a fan of messing around with electric to much and don't want to tear the sheetrock out just to move a electric box out farther.

• Vickie

Love the look. Is it difficult to keep Shiplap backsplash clean?

• Smooches

love the shiplap...but the cabinets are fabulous (and i don't even like blue). fantastically gorgeous and cost effective.

• ANNKUHNS
    1 minute ago

Please tell me how to do your cabinets like that! It is just what I've always wanted. What color did you use?