The Budget Backsplash Project

$76

In the interest of doing Pinterest on a budget, I searched non tile backsplash. Tile is great but it a little more expensive and a little harder to do yourself. As I move upstairs into my bathroom, I will be doing tile and creating the e course on that, but for the simplicity and budget in a kitchen I chose a different path. After doing some searching on Pinterest, I happened upon shiplap backsplashes.
the budget backsplash project
As you can see, there has never really been a backsplash.  Just drywall with paint is super hard to keep clean and dry especially behind the sink! 
the budget backsplash project
I headed out to Lowe’s (I know, Menard’s is my favorite but they don’t carry true shiplap– so disappointing! )  The pine I found is $11.97 for 14 square feet.  I needed just about 30 square feet so I would need to buy 3 for a total of $35.91 plus tax.  While I was looking it over, I spied some reclaimed wood planking that kept drawing my attention.  I just couldn’t quit looking over at it and I decided that although it was more expensive, it was really cheap for a backsplash still.  This was $21.97 per 14 square feet for a total of $65.91. Design Innovations Reclaimed 3.5-in x 4-ft Weathered Wood Cedar Wall Plank .
the budget backsplash project
I decided that what I used needed to be grey to go with the rest of the house and match the cabinets better so I chose Minwax Classic Grey Stain from Lowe’s for a cost of about $10.00.
the budget backsplash project
I stained the boards and wiped the stain back.
the budget backsplash project
Once they were dry I started putting the boards up. After all the boards were in place and nailed in, I sealed it with Minwax Polyurethane and caulked with clear caulk where the backsplash meets the countertop for waterproofing.
The result?  A fabulous looking budget backsplash for about $76.00 plus tax!
the budget backsplash project
the budget backsplash project
the budget backsplash project
the budget backsplash project
Jodi Jackson

• Debra McMenamin

Nice update. Is it easily cleaned?

• Doreen Kennedy

I like what you did very much and I’m not usually a really a fan of of all the wood wall accents. I’d like to try your idea to cover up my old white dated tile backsplash. I’ll probable use liquid nails. Also, I’ve wanted to paint my cabinets a blue color along with changing the colors of our kitchen walls. I see you used a great technique on your cabinets along with the blue color. Do you remember the brand and paint color you used ? I’d really appreciate it if you would share the color. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful kitchen.

• Victoria Williams

It looks beautiful, thank you for the idea. What is the color used on your cabinets? That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

• Mary Coakley

What a beautiful kitchen you now have thanks for the budget idea

• Carla

Beautiful job! Thanks for sharing, you've provided much food for thought. Definitely going to give this a try. 😁