Blue Kitchen Cabinet Project

$100
2 Weeks

Some time ago, I, like many others pinned the Pinterest picture of the blue cabinets with the black glaze. What a beautiful picture it is. Now, I would give credit where credit is due but these pictures have been pinned so many times that I do not know who to give credit to.

Whoever it is–stunning job!

I can only find one partial picture of the before of my kitchen. You get the picture though, white cabinets. I painted them about 7 years ago. Actually, they were still beautiful but so many people sent me this picture and asked me how to get this look that I figured I would give it a go and see if I could get close!

I went to my Benjamin Moore paint store and asked for Mozart Blue. They mixed me up a gallon in the Benjamin Moore Advance Satin paint. It is fabulous to paint cabinets with! It is actually all I paint cabinets with. Now you know that I used to retail chalk type paint and while I love it for furniture, I am not a fan for kitchen cabinets.

I took all of the doors off and removed all the hardware. Once my cabinet doors were down and the hardware was removed I cleaned them really well to remove any dirt or grease. (Don't skip the prep!!) I began to paint. I put two coats on the frame, the drawers and the cabinet doors.

Next, I applied a coat of Benjamin Moore Studio Finishes Alkyd glaze in black. This is oil based glaze and it gave me exactly the look I was after. I used a sponge applicator to apply it and a clean lint free rag to wipe it back. Once the glaze dried, I put the same hardware back on and the doors back up and drawers back in. Once they were up, I added a little extra glaze around the edges and the results were fabulous!

Benjamin Moore Studio Finishes Alkyd Glaze in Black

3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
Jodi Jackson

• Sharon Mabry
    Sharon Mabry

Could you do the same thing with a green paint?

• Cathy Sepulveda
    Cathy Sepulveda

Where can you find the glaze in black? All the places I've checked haven't had it in black, most only clear.

• Beverly
    Beverly

i can’t find the glaze. i tried a paint dealer and on amazon. any ideas?

• Randi
    Randi

Notes: DO NOT USE ALONE; Studio Finishes® Acrylic Glaze s must be intermixed with an interior acrylic paint. Applying Studio Finishes Acrylic Glaze (N405) over a fresh alkyd/oil based coating may cause premature yellowing of the basecoat.
  • Barbara Zimmerman
    Barbara Zimmerman

I did this to the bottom cabinets on my kitchen and love how they turned out.

• Terri
      Terri

What type of glaze did you use? I cannot find the Benjamin Moore glaze in black.