Blue Kitchen Cabinet Project

$100
2 Weeks

Some time ago, I, like many others pinned the Pinterest picture of the blue cabinets with the black glaze. What a beautiful picture it is. Now, I would give credit where credit is due but these pictures have been pinned so many times that I do not know who to give credit to.

Whoever it is–stunning job!

I can only find one partial picture of the before of my kitchen. You get the picture though, white cabinets. I painted them about 7 years ago. Actually, they were still beautiful but so many people sent me this picture and asked me how to get this look that I figured I would give it a go and see if I could get close!

I went to my Benjamin Moore paint store and asked for Mozart Blue. They mixed me up a gallon in the Benjamin Moore Advance Satin paint. It is fabulous to paint cabinets with! It is actually all I paint cabinets with. Now you know that I used to retail chalk type paint and while I love it for furniture, I am not a fan for kitchen cabinets.

I took all of the doors off and removed all the hardware. Once my cabinet doors were down and the hardware was removed I cleaned them really well to remove any dirt or grease. (Don't skip the prep!!) I began to paint. I put two coats on the frame, the drawers and the cabinet doors.

Next, I applied a coat of Benjamin Moore Studio Finishes Alkyd glaze in black. This is oil based glaze and it gave me exactly the look I was after. I used a sponge applicator to apply it and a clean lint free rag to wipe it back. Once the glaze dried, I put the same hardware back on and the doors back up and drawers back in. Once they were up, I added a little extra glaze around the edges and the results were fabulous!

Benjamin Moore Studio Finishes Alkyd Glaze in Black

Jodi Jackson

• Kitty

How did you apply the blue paint?

• Kitty

Did you apply a sealer or anything to protect it from water and/or grease.

• Kitty

For how long did the color lasted? Would you recommend it for a heavy use kitchen?

• Jimmy

I Will Let You Know

• Ida9464

I’m wondering why they ask you if you have a question if no one is going to answer it. Nevertheless, these are lovely and it’s a gorgeous job!