Jodi Jackson
Jodi Jackson
  • Eudora, KS

Blue Kitchen Cabinet Project

$100
2 Weeks

Some time ago, I, like many others pinned the Pinterest picture of the blue cabinets with the black glaze. What a beautiful picture it is. Now, I would give credit where credit is due but these pictures have been pinned so many times that I do not know who to give credit to.

blue kitchen cabinet project

Whoever it is–stunning job!

blue kitchen cabinet project
blue kitchen cabinet project

I can only find one partial picture of the before of my kitchen. You get the picture though, white cabinets. I painted them about 7 years ago. Actually, they were still beautiful but so many people sent me this picture and asked me how to get this look that I figured I would give it a go and see if I could get close!

blue kitchen cabinet project
blue kitchen cabinet project

I went to my Benjamin Moore paint store and asked for Mozart Blue. They mixed me up a gallon in the Benjamin Moore Advance Satin paint. It is fabulous to paint cabinets with! It is actually all I paint cabinets with. Now you know that I used to retail chalk type paint and while I love it for furniture, I am not a fan for kitchen cabinets.

I took all of the doors off and removed all the hardware. Once my cabinet doors were down and the hardware was removed I cleaned them really well to remove any dirt or grease. (Don't skip the prep!!) I began to paint. I put two coats on the frame, the drawers and the cabinet doors.

blue kitchen cabinet project

Next, I applied a coat of Benjamin Moore Studio Finishes Alkyd glaze in black. This is oil based glaze and it gave me exactly the look I was after. I used a sponge applicator to apply it and a clean lint free rag to wipe it back. Once the glaze dried, I put the same hardware back on and the doors back up and drawers back in. Once they were up, I added a little extra glaze around the edges and the results were fabulous!

blue kitchen cabinet project

blue kitchen cabinet project

Jodi Jackson

• Donna Ordziejewski

Do you have to sand the cabinets?

• Pamela

Can you use a different color of paint with the with the Black Alkyd Enamel?

• Theresa Moore

I'm thinking about doing mine like this but instead of the blue using a white paint. I have a few spare cabinet doors out in my garage that I'm thinking about trying the white paint & then the Black Alkyd Enamel first to see if I like how it looks. If I do, then I'm going to give my kitchen a try.

• Judi mccloughan

Man I would just love to do this. I am afraid it would clash with my countertop tho. It is multicolored. It has a lot of gold tones with black ivory and grey. I had wanted to do grey on the cupboards but didn't like it with the country tears when I painted the base and ended up with a off white. Any suggestions?

• Victoria

I used a dark Anne Sloan grey and wipe sanded, another application wiped and sanded some more. Then stained a darker grey. I love them. My cabinets were so dry I had to do something but thankfully they were a good solid oak.

• Jeanne Nicholson

This is absolutely gorgeous. I've thought of painting my cabinets. They're not really my style, but they are red oak and in fantastic shape. Once you do all that, there's really no going back and I'm terrified I'll regret it. I'm going to start by putting a black glaze on them to get rid of the orange tone. Then we'll see. :)

• Jimmy

I Will Let You Know