Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Hose Extender

$40

Do you have a outside faucet that's hard to reach? Here is a way to extend that water source and add a landscaping element.
hose extender
I have a outside faucet that is in the corner of a flower bed which means I have to walk through the flower bed to use the faucet.
And just laying a hose at the edge of the bed doesn't look nice.
Determine where you hose extender will stand.
Dig at least 10" deep
hose extender
Purchase a plastic post sleeve.
Measure from the bottom up to determine where your connection to a garden hose will be located.
Add to the measurement the depth that you will be sinking your hose extender into the ground.
I measured 12" - 10" to sink into the ground and 2" where garden hose will be connected.
hose extender
Flip the post sleeve around.
Measure from the top down to determine where you faucet will be located. I measure 5" from the top.
hose extender
Drill a hole at each of your marks.
Determine the size of the hole to fit the pvc pipe that you purchased.
I used 3/4" pvc so my bit was 1".
hose extender
Measure the distance between both holes and mark that measurement onto your pvc pipe.
Cut the pipe to that length.
hose extender
Using pipe cement, glue an elbow onto each end.
The elbows should be facing the opposite ways - your faucet is on the front of the sleeve and the garden hose connection is on the back of the sleeve.
hose extender
Lay the pvc pipe inside the sleeve and align the elbow with each hole (The elbow will be inside the sleeve.
Apply glue to the pieces of 2" pvc.
Fit the 2" pvc into each elbow.
Allow to dry.

hose extender
For the faucet:
Attach a faucet into a pvc fitting that is threaded on one end and smooth on the other.
Apply glue to the smooth end and attach to 2" piece of pvc.
Allow to dry.
hose extender
For the garden hose attachment:
Using a pvc fitting that is threaded on one end and smooth on the other end, apply glue to the smooth end and attach to the 2" pvc piece.
Allow to dry.
hose extender
Drill 4 holes in the bottom of the sleeve - one on each side.
Thread 2 pieces of rebar through the holes.
This will help to stabilize the hose extender.
hose extender
Add stone to your hole and place the sleeve on top of the stone. Check for level.

Next, add quick drying cement and water. Check for level and allow cement to dry.
hose extender
Attach one end of a garden hose to your hose extender, into the pvc fitting and the other end to your outside faucet.
hose extender
I screwed a hook onto the side to hang my watering can.
hose extender
Now I no longer have to walk through my garden in order to water it.

This project was inspired by The Family Handyman

• Karen Pullen

Love this and thank you for sharing! A couple of questions: (1) what do you mean "add stone to the hole". I don't see stone on the list of materials, and (2) how long are the rebars, how far down are they set, and do you just dig a bigger hole to accommodate them? Thanks again.

• Susan

To prevent freezing shouldn't a insulation wrap be placed around All piping ?

• Gail Compton

Remove the short piece of hose between the two taps in the fall, otherwise the tap at the house could freeze. Been there!

• Li

But wouldn’t the pressure eventually cause the hose connecting the two faucets to burst?