Cheryl
Cheryl
  • Niles, IL

Front Door Coppertop Cedar Awning

$350

The rain would always drip inside my storm door and create condensation. I tried a drip edge but that didn't solve the problem. So I decided to make an 18 inch overhang .
front door coppertop cedar awning
I built 2 braces 24" long that would hold the weight. The extension was 20 " and a mitred piece to the middle.
front door coppertop cedar awning
I made a template of the roof line to duplicate the pitch and cut the wood accordingly. I used 2 trusses for my 18" overhang.
front door coppertop cedar awning
I notched each of the roof 2 x 4 Trusses where they would lie in the braces.
front door coppertop cedar awning
A braces was added to the center of each truss. I also cut four triangles to add to the top of the truss for added support.
front door coppertop cedar awning
I wrapped the overhang using 16mil copper using copper nails to attach. I do not own a roof break so I bent the copper slightly and usd a scrap 2x 4 tapping it with a hammer to get the bend. I overlapped 2 " on each side of the roof. Be sure to use a towel underneath the copper to prevent scratching of the surface. I also lined the inside of the canopy with shiplap that was on sale.
front door coppertop cedar awning
I filled a thin flour sack towel with pebbles and rocks and secured with a rubber band. What? I wanted to add texture to the rood of course. I finished the front with 2 pieces of cedar.
front door coppertop cedar awning
I added clear weatherproof sealant at the joints of the copper and cedar.
front door coppertop cedar awning
With four men and one lady, we mounted the braces to each side using 6, 4 1/2 inch fastners - 3 on each brace, making sure they were both level. My hubby is one to point and watch while others do the work. of course; that's why he is a supervisor.
front door coppertop cedar awning
The top went up and fit in all the right places. We reinforced with more screws where wood joined.
front door coppertop cedar awning
I added 1/2 inch tubular foam against the siding to filling any gap and used clear marine sealant to finish. I used blue paint tape to make sure I didn't get sealant on the copper top.
And done.
And done.
I stained the exposed wood with 2 coats of minwax weathered gray stain.
Ta dah!
Ta dah!
I absolutely L O V E
my labor of love.

• Donna

Where can I get the copper

• Arlys Koushakjian

Looks just lovely. Added such a focal point to the front.

One question is did you do any coating on the copper so it will stay that pretty and not turn green. My self love the copper but hate the patina. ???

• JoAnne Cummings`

How do you keep water from creeping in behind (in between the awning and siding)? I need to make something like this over our side door because it is not under an eve and the door framing is beginning to swell and rot.

• JoAnne Cummings`

Awesome! Much easier than I imagined. Usually when I see DIY projects for these awnings they are on brick siding, so it's much easier to flash and seal. I have vinyl siding like you, so it's different. Thank you!