Front Door Coppertop Cedar Awning

$350

The rain would always drip inside my storm door and create condensation. I tried a drip edge but that didn't solve the problem. So I decided to make an 18 inch overhang .
I built 2 braces 24" long that would hold the weight. The extension was 20 " and a mitred piece to the middle.
I made a template of the roof line to duplicate the pitch and cut the wood accordingly. I used 2 trusses for my 18" overhang.
I notched each of the roof 2 x 4 Trusses where they would lie in the braces.
A braces was added to the center of each truss. I also cut four triangles to add to the top of the truss for added support.
I wrapped the overhang using 16mil copper using copper nails to attach. I do not own a roof break so I bent the copper slightly and usd a scrap 2x 4 tapping it with a hammer to get the bend. I overlapped 2 " on each side of the roof. Be sure to use a towel underneath the copper to prevent scratching of the surface. I also lined the inside of the canopy with shiplap that was on sale.
I filled a thin flour sack towel with pebbles and rocks and secured with a rubber band. What? I wanted to add texture to the rood of course. I finished the front with 2 pieces of cedar.
I added clear weatherproof sealant at the joints of the copper and cedar.
With four men and one lady, we mounted the braces to each side using 6, 4 1/2 inch fastners - 3 on each brace, making sure they were both level. My hubby is one to point and watch while others do the work. of course; that's why he is a supervisor.
The top went up and fit in all the right places. We reinforced with more screws where wood joined.
I added 1/2 inch tubular foam against the siding to filling any gap and used clear marine sealant to finish. I used blue paint tape to make sure I didn't get sealant on the copper top.
And done.
I stained the exposed wood with 2 coats of minwax weathered gray stain.
Ta dah!
I absolutely L O V E
my labor of love.

23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window

• JoAnne Cummings`

How do you keep water from creeping in behind (in between the awning and siding)? I need to make something like this over our side door because it is not under an eve and the door framing is beginning to swell and rot.

• JoAnne Cummings`

Awesome! Much easier than I imagined. Usually when I see DIY projects for these awnings they are on brick siding, so it's much easier to flash and seal. I have vinyl siding like you, so it's different. Thank you!

• JackieG

Just want to say THANKS for sharing! This is something that I've been wanting to do for awhile. Yours looks great!

• Puh28957675

Why isn't the peak centered with the door?

• Cheryl

Yes, the top is centered with the door. I took the photo from the left side of the yard.

• Cheryl

Thanks so much for your positive comments. I love creating. I just made this cover for our outside ac unit

• MK

That’s cute but I still need flowerbeds!