How to Build A Rustic Arbor

1 Material
$50

Here are a few pictures of roughly how to build a rustic arbor . I can give you the over all measurements .Most of everything else is done by eye .
First step is figuring out where you want to place the arbor .I always try to place things where I can get the best pictures later , sun set and sunrise .
Secondly the size of your arbor .
I built this arbor to be 7 feet square . I made a frame using 2x2 lumber .Once the frame is built I square it up measuring from corner to corner .Then add a brace to keep it square .
One I have it in place where I want it I dig a 6 inch hole in each inside corner of the frame .This way I am starting off with a square frame .
Once I have the 4 corner post in I plumb them up as straight as I can . The height of them are all random so I use a straight edge and level to mark and cut then all off at 8 ft high .
I have built 3 of these arbors so far .This one I decided to add a tower on the top . The main tower is 2 feet tall then add the gable ends 45 degree angle . I also use 2x2 lumber to keep everything square and plumb . All of the main frame is predrilled then I use 6 inch galvanized nails to put it together . I use 3 1/2 inch screws for the smaller branches and then 3 inch 16 gauge finish nails for the small pieces . Much easier if you have a finish nailer .
Once the main frame is done then it is just a matter of filling everything in .
A lot of the cuts are done by holding the piece in place where you want it then marking where to cut it . Its hard to get exact measurements when you are dealing with logs .
I added a 5 foot set of wind chimes to bring it to life :-)
Here are some finished pictures of the 3 different arbors .
Arbor number Two
Arbor Number Three !

• Spruce or Pine branches , cedar will work too.

22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock

• Emmybel
    Emmybel

Wow! This is breathtakingly beautiful! Do you have to seal it or treat it with anything after finishing it?

• Joanna
    Joanna

Absolutely love them! So beautiful.

• PAMELA
    PAMELA

LOVE YOUR CREATION. I WOULD LIKE TO BUILD A BIRD SHELTER THAT THE WILD BIRDS CAN TAKE COVER IF WE GET HEAVY RAIN OR HAIL. I HAVE CARDINAL FAMILIES WHO LIKE IN MY TREES AND THEY HAVE THEIR FLEGLINGS BABIES IN TRAINING AND WE HAVE HAD SOME SERIOUS STORMS..MAYBE, YOU WOULD BE WILLING TO GIVE ME YOUR TAKE ON HOW TO MAKE A STORM SHELTER FOR THE BIRDS? PAMELA AT SINGSONGS520@GMAIL.COM...LOVE YOUR CREATION SO MUCH.