How to Build A Rustic Arbor

1 Material
$50

Here are a few pictures of roughly how to build a rustic arbor . I can give you the over all measurements .Most of everything else is done by eye .
First step is figuring out where you want to place the arbor .I always try to place things where I can get the best pictures later , sun set and sunrise .
Secondly the size of your arbor .
I built this arbor to be 7 feet square . I made a frame using 2x2 lumber .Once the frame is built I square it up measuring from corner to corner .Then add a brace to keep it square .
One I have it in place where I want it I dig a 6 inch hole in each inside corner of the frame .This way I am starting off with a square frame .
Once I have the 4 corner post in I plumb them up as straight as I can . The height of them are all random so I use a straight edge and level to mark and cut then all off at 8 ft high .
I have built 3 of these arbors so far .This one I decided to add a tower on the top . The main tower is 2 feet tall then add the gable ends 45 degree angle . I also use 2x2 lumber to keep everything square and plumb . All of the main frame is predrilled then I use 6 inch galvanized nails to put it together . I use 3 1/2 inch screws for the smaller branches and then 3 inch 16 gauge finish nails for the small pieces . Much easier if you have a finish nailer .
Once the main frame is done then it is just a matter of filling everything in .
A lot of the cuts are done by holding the piece in place where you want it then marking where to cut it . Its hard to get exact measurements when you are dealing with logs .
I added a 5 foot set of wind chimes to bring it to life :-)
Here are some finished pictures of the 3 different arbors .
Arbor number Two
Arbor Number Three !

• Spruce or Pine branches , cedar will work too.

• Lori Johnson

where can you get tree branches that are so straight? I love the looks of all of them and the Border Collie gave it a homey feel, and my area of the country, (North Dakota), the snow does too.

• Emmybel

Wow! This is breathtakingly beautiful! Do you have to seal it or treat it with anything after finishing it?

• Joanna

Absolutely love them! So beautiful.