DIY LED Log Table

$25

After a storm here in Tallahassee in September 2016, we picked up a bunch of cut up logs from the neighbor across from my (Vicki) house. The logs have been drying all this time in Steph’s garage and are now ready for projects. We’ve already used two in a previous project.

The most interesting of the salvaged stumps was the one with a hole partially through it. We knew it would make some kind of cool project and thought a lamp would be interesting to try.
before
Watch the how-to video here.

Sign-up for our weekly newsletter here to see all our projects!
before
We used a chisel and rubber mallet to remove the bark from the stump.
We needed to even out the bottom so that the stump would sit flat. The ideal tool for this is a chainsaw which we do not have. We used aluminum tape around the log as a cutting guide and use a reciprocating saw to make the cut.
If you like sanding, this is the project to tackle because there is lots and lots of sanding involved. Start with a low grit and work up to 220.
At the suggestion of grandson/nephew, Andrew, we spray painted inside and out in gold metallic spray paint.
We decided to use a thin layer of epoxy to seal the top to create a table top. We used contact paper to hold in the epoxy. The log was turned over, epoxy mixed, and poured into the hole. We peel off the covering to reveal the epoxy after it cured.
The lamp insert was made from PVC pipe, a pool noodle, and cord set. All the pieces were fitted together and the socket was wedged securely into the pool noodle hole to hold it in place.
When it all came together we were really happy with it! We added an LED coloring changing bulb so it has a neat, cave like feel.
For more details please visit our website below!

• Tree stump
  • Chisel and mallet
  • Sander

Mother Daughter Projects

• Skiddycat

I was wondering if this got "hot" since the light can't really breathe?
    I absolutely LOVE this and want to make it, but.... worried about the heat factor ?!

• Clergylady

solar lightsWe use color changing LED bulbs in our night lights. Brighter than expected and no heat when on all night. I would try that but I don't love the idea. I wonder if it would work by my fire pit with a solar path light inside. I might try that. I just bought a 20 lumen solar charged light I plan to use on the serving table where we often cook outside when it's finally cooling off closer to sunset. Most pathway solar lights are just 1.4-2.5 lumens. I paid about $10 for the one 20 lumen light.
  • Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz

Is it necessary to take the bark off the log?
    • Cynthia Whitney

If you leave the bark on, you need to seal it thoroughly with something because there will be bugs. But it sounds like a cute idea. You could make a whole circle of them for your fire ring seating area.
  • Kim

How thick is your layer of epoxy?