How We Repurposed Empty DVD Cases to Make a Vertical Garden

$0

Do you have empty DVD cases at home. We do. How does that even happen?  If the inside bits aren't there I can't donate them and I hate adding more plastic to our landfill so we had to get a little creative. Here's what we started with.
3 Empty DVD cases, a piece of wood that's a bit wider than the cases and some leather we had left over after making our epic suitcase bureau. We opened up the DVD cases and drilled a few drainage holes at the bottom of each of them.
Using the DVD case we drew a pattern and cut pieces of leather to hide those ugly plastic cases.
We stuck the leather onto the DVD cases to make them pretty  before adding a few small pebbles in the bottom for extra drainage.
We filled the DVD cases with potting soil and some water wise plants and this is what we ended up with.
Now I just need to decide whether we should keep the vertical garden next our front door with some of our other succulents. Or do we hang her up? What do you think?
If you have any other ideas about what we can do with the other empty cases I'd love to hear about them. There are a few more

Oh and you can get the full tutorial on the blog. We love getting visitors from HomeTalk, please come say hi

31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Michelle Leslie

• Kat livingood

Is that Philodendron Neon? I am so jealous...they are seriously hard to find.

• Michelle Leslie

Hey Kat, I know it as a Heart Leaf Philodendron ? and we have one in the garden that's thriving. So I'm lucky enough to be able to take cuttings from her for most of our pot plants. Staying in South Africa they're quite common in the nurseries

• Linda

Doesn't the soil fall out the sides? I must be missing something here.

• Michelle Leslie

Hi there Linda, the faux leather has been wrapped around the sides so the soil stays where it should.

• Mara Vsn

I got some icecream boxes and wanted to do somthing for my plants, like that, any suggestions?