How We Repurposed Empty DVD Cases to Make a Vertical Garden

$0

Do you have empty DVD cases at home. We do. How does that even happen?  If the inside bits aren't there I can't donate them and I hate adding more plastic to our landfill so we had to get a little creative. Here's what we started with.
how we repurposed empty dvd cases to make a
3 Empty DVD cases, a piece of wood that's a bit wider than the cases and some leather we had left over after making our epic suitcase bureau. We opened up the DVD cases and drilled a few drainage holes at the bottom of each of them.
Using the DVD case we drew a pattern and cut pieces of leather to hide those ugly plastic cases.
We stuck the leather onto the DVD cases to make them pretty  before adding a few small pebbles in the bottom for extra drainage.
We filled the DVD cases with potting soil and some water wise plants and this is what we ended up with.
Now I just need to decide whether we should keep the vertical garden next our front door with some of our other succulents. Or do we hang her up? What do you think?
If you have any other ideas about what we can do with the other empty cases I'd love to hear about them. There are a few more

Oh and you can get the full tutorial on the blog. We love getting visitors from HomeTalk, please come say hi

A Crafty Mix - Michelle

• Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

Are you kidding me? I literally, just two days ago, posted a question about how to diy some woolly pockets. I wanted to know how to waterproof the back so I could hang it on a wall inside. You answered my question! I've got TONS of empty cases! How DOES that even happen? Lol thanks Michelle

• Monica De Bono

I just donated 500 empty cases, are there other uses for them...like using them as picture frames? What about something to cover a wall?

• A Crafty Mix - Michelle

Great question Monica. We've also inserted huge letters inside the plastic sleeve and used it to play lawn scrabble. It's so much fun. They would definitely work as picture frames too. Just replace the covers with your photos or art work and I've seen people turn them into the cutest purses and handbags too.

• Kat livingood

Is that Philodendron Neon? I am so jealous...they are seriously hard to find.

• A Crafty Mix - Michelle

Hey Kat, I know it as a Heart Leaf Philodendron ? and we have one in the garden that's thriving. So I'm lucky enough to be able to take cuttings from her for most of our pot plants. Staying in South Africa they're quite common in the nurseries

• Jeanne Johnson Ortego

I love the way that turned out. I'm going to steal the look with one of those old vertical bill organizers!

• Giselle

I would never have guessed you used CD cases! I have a lot too so I’ll have to Pin this! Looks awesome!