UPDATE on How to Make an Old Couch New for $10

$10

"How to make an old couch look new again for $10" has been one of my most popular posts. I wanted to offer an update on that project so you can see how everything is holding up.
When I started, my couch had a bunch of wrinkles and sags I wanted to get rid of.
I removed the stuffing from the back cushions and washed the covers. Next time I do this, I will add a layer of quilt batting to the back cushions to keep them looking smooth and lump-free after I re-stuff them.
To beef up my saggy bottom cushions, I added quilt batting. It has held up great! Next time I remove the covers to wash them, I may use spray adhesive to keep the batting from shifting at all. Also, cutting it exact keeps edges crisp.
The batting has really kept the cushions looking like new. I would definitely recommend trying this if you have removable covers.
Here's the old couch that looks like new again.

Living Rich on Less - Susan

• Randy Kramer

I would like to know if you added more stuffing to the pillows and hope you got them and kept them from sagging? Nice looking couch!!

• Lin4762030

Hi my name is Linda
    I have micro fiber couch as well. Mine is a darker brown, you machined washed the cushion covers, what did you use and how did you
    dry them?

• Laura

I am going to try (in addition to the quilt batting), a square of green upolstry foam...cut the same size of the cushion....set it in to the front of the cushion and stuff the foam pieces behind. I think this will help them stand up and be neater looking ...longer

• EdiLeck

I recently 'fixed' the pillow back cushions on my sofa. They were 'dog squished' and looked really awful! I went to the local farm and ranch store and purchased some foam camping cushions, cut them to size, and put them in the freshly washed covers. Then I added stuffing to round them out a bit more. I found that firmly packing them doesn't allow them to 'squish' quite as readily!