Can I draw power from a wall outlet to add a light and light switch?

+10
q can i draw power from a wall outlet to add a light and light switch
  • Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Jul 05, 2017
    Make sure the power is off, cut and add a box. Search Youtube, that is a great source for tutorials
  • KT KT on Jul 06, 2017
    I read this and immediately thought: HIRE A PROFESSIONAL! Why would you risk your life and home posting such a question online?
  • Doreen Kennedy Doreen Kennedy on Jul 06, 2017
    Yes you can as long as your source is able to handle the load. An electrician could just tap off of your outlet. We do our own, but my husband is an engineer. I would maybe hire an electrician to wire it because trying to attempt electrical work yourself without the experience is dangerous plus your home insurance might not cover diy electrical work. If you want to save money and you are sure about where you want your switch you could do the drywall prep and finish work yourself. I admire you for seeking advice.
  • Steve Woodward Steve Woodward on Jul 06, 2017
    Yes in most cases you can, Remember SAFETY FIRST. there are new connectors available that make the job safer then the old wire nuts, use them if needed. They are at local big box hardware stores, the outlet may already have the push in holes used and require a slight rewire. While instruction online should offer the basics. I would recommend getting assistance from someone with more experiance even though this is a relitivly simple job,... IF you had to ASK this QUESTION your SKILL LEVEL is NOT sufficient to TACKLE ALONE.
  • Ron Bussing Ron Bussing on Jul 06, 2017
    Depending on your experience/handiness, you certainly can. But, why not take the easy route? ::: https://www.amazon.com/OxyLED-OxySense-T-01-Anywhere-Closets/dp/B00GD8OKY0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1499362693&sr=8-5&keywords=tap+light+led
    Also available at Walmart, Target.... Etc.
  • Mrf23631640 Mrf23631640 on Jul 06, 2017
    If you do not know how to determine the HOT from the Neutral and Ground -get an electrician to identify. I have worked electricity for 50 years and you always break the hot for any circuit with your switch. Don't trust wire color (Black =Hot) can get you electrocuted.
    • Eleanor Korf Eleanor Korf on Jul 06, 2017
      Good information to know before doing the work. Wiring in an outlet like this is easy once you know the safety steps to take, how much load you can put on the specific wire, and how to staple the new box and wire in place.
    Being an electrician even I become careless TRUSTING the wiring was done correctly. changing a light fixture with just two/three wires SHOULD be as simple as turning the switch off. If the neutral wire was broken by the switch the light will still turn off but YOU now become the electrical RETURN path and depending on your environment you could draw the full current rating of the
    circuit breaker 20-30 amps. It only takes a few tenths of an amp thru your heart to cause cardiac failure at worst and a really good shock at best. I adopted President Reagans slogan when working in industrial and home construction. You hear " Circuits Dead!" TRUST BUT VERIFY , I made it to 79+ , just saying...

• Mary Mary on Jul 07, 2017
    I've done my own electrical wiring, but I had my father as a teacher. I think your best and safest way to get lighting into your crawl space is to go the route that Ron Bussing suggested. Click on the link he provided, which goes to Walmart, but you can also get battery operated lights just about anywhere. I have bought LED battery operated lights at Amazon and love them! Check prices at Walmart/Amazon/Menards/Home Depot/Lowes for the best prices, and also for the brightness of the lights you want.
  • Erin Erin on Mar 15, 2021

Electricity is something you don’t mess with if you’re an amateur.