How do I make a stumpery? I have all the tree trunks! How do I proceed

+6
q how do i make a stumpery i have all the tree trunks how do i proceed
  • Alexandra Alexandra on Jul 06, 2017
    Because the wood looks so good on its own, there really is no wrong way to do it. Your pile, right there, is a stumpery, it doesn't need much arrangement, just a few touches. :) Just consider the area, what other plants you want to use, how you want your logs to appear - cut, sliced or bigger pieces - and have a go at it. Maybe sketch a design first? However, I would cut the thinner branches and maybe use them as mulch, they are not as impressive as the thick one, that stands out.
    • Sandy Murray Sandy Murray on Jul 07, 2017
      Thank you Alexandra. Good points! I have since added compost galore!!! My chickens are having a field day!!!will add more photos
  • Sandra Kruger Sandra Kruger on Jul 06, 2017
    I would love to do this in UK but where do I get the stumps?

• James James on Jul 06, 2017
    It's called accessorizing the stump pile, Items such as steer skulls , or nautical rope, old pull plow, old anchor, old oil lamp, old signs , anything from the past that gives the look you are trying to achieve.....
  • C Crow C Crow on Jul 06, 2017
    Not at all useful to all of you, but I want to thank you. The older I get the more I realize I have to learn. Had never heard of a stumpery before. Thank you all for your informative comments. Now I'd like one....
      Our South African gardening magazine had the in an article! I have mine in the sun as the shady spots are near the house, and I don't fancy the goggas, insects that it will bring into the house, so I am filling it with herbs and flowers all that need sun. Then I might have to surround it with anti chicken devices, or within a week it will be back to tree trunks!!!
    Sandra you can start off small with just a nice piece of wood in a container, it doesn't need to be gnarled or fancy. Just a log. Next time you go for a walk in nature or on a friends plot,farm look out for bits! I know we have them on sale here. The latest is tree stump roots!