How to Save the Leather Top on a Vintage Desk

68K Views
If you ever come across a piece of vintage furniture with leather inlay and you aren't sure what to do with it there are many options. Do you save the leather top? Replace it? Cover it up? Remove it? There are also many uncertainties, but I'm here to let you know that there doesn't have to be. The top of this vintage desk had a leather inlay and I wanted to save it in the worst way.
Time: 5 HoursCost: $100Difficulty: Medium
  • how to save the leather top on a vintage desk
I'll prepare you now and let you know that the desk does get painted, so if you hate painted furniture - don't look. But I'll also let you know that the desk came with many imperfections from the start.

For starters some of the drawers pushed in which isn't necessarily a big deal but it still needed attention to fix.
Inside many of the drawers was gross.
The leather itself had rings, stains and damage.
And it was also separating.
The lifting leather was glued and clamped. Then the desk was sanded and cleaned.
Even the leather was lightly sanded and cleaned.
After cleaning the leather top it was still imperfect but much more manageable.
Non toxic, Protective wood stains in chestnut and teak were applied to the leather creating a rich new color.  which helps to hide the existing imperfections and maintaining the leather look and feel.
The dark stain helps to hide the still existing imperfections and maintains the leather look and feel.
The inside of the nasty drawers were painted in a deep teal while the outsides were decoupaged with a vintage style print. You can find more photos, steps and a vide on the website here: How to Save the Leather Top on a Vintage Desk.
This desk is now my personal work space in my home.
This gorgeous chair was chosen to accompany my desk and was given a timeless makeover as well, which can also be found within the post on the blog.

Suggested materials for this project:

• Paint & Stain  (http://www.justthewoods.com/product-category/pure-home-paint/)
Just the Woods, LLC