Toilet Flushes Every Other Time?

+5
Moved in a few months ago and we have 3 bathrooms. One toilet works great, the other 2 flush every other time. Any ideas why that would happen? Thank you in advance

• Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Jul 07, 2017
    You might need to shorten the chain between the handle and the flap, or replace the flap all together.
  • Tom Stengel Tom Stengel on Jul 07, 2017
    to check your flapper to see if leaking pour coffee or food coloring or soda in tank wait 10 min. If color is in bowl ,flapper is leaking .Replace flapper ..Do you have a Fluid Master valve installed ? Check to see if adjusted the right height !Good luck!!
  • Betsy Betsy on Jul 07, 2017
    The air stack may be clogged. That's the one that goes out to the roof. I'm thinking that this is a job for a professional.
  • Ginny Ginny on Jul 07, 2017
    Are you public sewage or septic? You might have a clog in your main drain or just below where the waste goes out of your toilet. Buy an auger and use it to see if something is stuck. I'd buy one at least 4-6 ft. long.
  • Betsy Betsy on Jul 08, 2017
    Denise, somehow I thought I read something about bubbles, hence the vent stack comment. I must have been reading another question. Anyway, check to see if the tank and bowl fill completely. If not, you may have to adjust the fill level and/or you have the wrong flapper installed. Be sure that the chain that's inside of the tank isn't too short or too long. There should be a bit of slack in the chain, but not so much that it can get caught under the flapper. A rubber flapper is better than the plastic ones. The idea of putting food colouring inside of the tank to see if it is leaking is an old trick and works quite well. I'd leave it in over night just to be sure. Good luck.