Simple and Gorgeous IKEA Feather Lamp Hack

$20

When I first saw a feather lampshade in one of my favorite home furnishing stores. I knew I had to have one. However, when I saw the price I knew that wasn't going to happen.

They were over £300 ($385), my husband would have thought I'd gone mad if I spent that on some paper and feathers. That got me thinking if the lampshades are only made of paper and feathers than surely I could make one myself for a fraction of the price.

That is exactly what I did and not only was it easy I love my new lampshade it really adds fun and glamor to my dining room.
This feather lampshade actually turned out to be an IKEA hack as I used an IKEA Regolit lampshade.
I also used 5 feather boas a bit like these ones here. You can use more expensive boas if you want but I found that the fancy dress boas worked really well.
The first thing to do is make up your paper lampshade up according to the instructions.

Starting in the middle of the lampshade (the widest point), using mod podge (or other white glue), stick the feather boa to shade. Wrap the feathers all the round and cut off any excess. keep the off cuts for later.
Repeat with another round of feathers approximately 2" above your first row. (Depends on how bushy your feather boa is).

You may find this easier if you hang your lampshade from a piece of string.
Carry on gluing rows of feathers all around the lampshade until all of it is covered.

This is a really quick and simple craft.
As you can see the lampshades looks lovely in my dining room.

I would only use a light bulb recommended for your paper lampshade this is normally no bigger than 60w and preferably LED. You don't want a bulb that's going to get too hot!

If you are wondering how to clean it. Apparently, you just blast it with a hairdryer on it's coolest setting.

The lamp looks lovely all illuminated at night and gives a lovely soft light.You can get feather boas in lots of different colors and paper lampshades in various sizes and shapes, so you can make loads of different feather lampshades. (more pictures on the blog)

This isn't my first IKEA Lamp hack I also did a map one that is one of my most popular posts and has been featured in a few magazines. Visit my Ikea Rismon Lamp hack here. 

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Heather

Really want to do this but, wouldn't the feathers get hot?

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

Thank you. Not today with modern light bulbs. LED light bulbs don't get as hot as old bulbs and the bulb is actually quite a distant from the feathers anyway.

• Marcy

I understand why you started from the middle. Will you please give me tips on how to proceed as it gets closer to the top & bottom of the lamp shade?

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

I just wrapped the feathers around the shade above and below the middle row. I ensured that the feathers were spaced out just enough so the shade didn't show through. This will depend on your boa. I cut each boa length as I progressed up the shade so that each round was individual rather than a spiral. If you go to the blog post there are more photos and details that will help. Thanks Claire

• Stella Cotza

Can this be done on a lamp shade

• Terri

Hi

you could absolutely do this on a regular lampshade