How do you trim tomatoes?Help

+4
  • Yvonne 'Nan' Larson Yvonne 'Nan' Larson on Jul 09, 2017
    I just use light duty pruners to chop off the part that is headed towards someplace I don't want it to be. If you are pruning for another purpose I would like to know that, too.
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jul 09, 2017
    I normally only take off branches, stems, or leaves if they are dying off later in the season. There are people who trim off the lower branches so that the plant gets more air circulation.
  • Dfm Dfm on Jul 09, 2017
    triming the tomatoes.....you want to remove the suckers....look at a tomatoe branch wher it meets the main stem. Is there a branch starting to grow in the crotch of the branch? Remove it. Remove any dried, yellow or brown spotted leaves. You want 1 central leader or stem.
  • Ama24734538 Ama24734538 on Jul 09, 2017
  • Kathleen Kathleen on Jul 09, 2017
    The key is to prune the bottom up to get air flow through, and a few of the middle branches to allow a little light in as well. The amount of pruning you will need to do is based on the size and variety of plants.
  • Patricia Patricia on Jul 09, 2017
    cut off the suckers and the other limbs will bear fruit-- pinch them off when small
  • Lynn France Lynn France on Jul 11, 2017
    Thanks to everyone for your great answers. I now will have many tomatoes.