Dollar Store Outdoor Chandelier

$27

When I spotted the prettiest little candleholders for just one dollar at my local Dollar Tree I knew a project was in the works! This dollar store DIY outdoor chandelier is something my sister has been wanting for her back yard, so this was the perfect time to go for it!
dollar store outdoor chandelier
I began with these two small hula hoops, some burlap ribbon, twine, candle holders and battery operated tea lights.  
dollar store outdoor chandelier
I began by hot gluing the two hula hoops together, one on top of the other.
dollar store outdoor chandelier
My burlap ribbon was wrapped around the hula hoops, gluing it as I went.  I wanted this entire project to be able to be done from the dollar store, but you might be able to get a little higher quality burlap ribbon elsewhere for the same $3 I spent on mine.
dollar store outdoor chandelier
I wrapped the entire hula hoops completely with the ribbon.
dollar store outdoor chandelier
When I had the hoops covered, I trimmed off the excess strings.  I repeat if you buy a higher quality ribbon you probably wouldn’t need to trim it.
dollar store outdoor chandelier
I tied the twine to the hula hoops equally spaced around the hoops.
dollar store outdoor chandelier
After I had tied four pieces of twine I was able to suspend my ring.
dollar store outdoor chandelier
Next step is to simply tie the candleholders onto the rings at equal distances from one another so the chandelier will hang level.  When I go to this point I thought I would be done, but I though it looked a little bare, so back to the dollar store for some greenery.
dollar store outdoor chandelier
 The vines from Dollar Tree are quite lacking, but I began by wrapping two of these garlands on the hoops.  I followed  up with three ivy picks which I cut apart and attached by sticking the stems through the burlap and adding a little twin in a few spots where I wanted to secure the greenery al little better.
dollar store outdoor chandelier
My chandelier is a going to be a great addition to my sister’s patio, adding a pretty glow in the evenings.  Make sure you don’t use real candles in these or you might burn through your twine and have your candleholders fall and break!  Dollar store DIY projects are sometimes a challenge, but it is fun to see what you end up with and how you can use it, in this case a lovely addition to your outdoor space. I used battery operated tea light candles!
Celebrate & Decorate (Chloe Crabtree)

• Martha Rosario

Do you think I can use solar lights?

• Muriel - Ireland

Yes, but I am thinking of something like this for my Christmas dining table. Any ideas?

• Deanna Maidwell

I don’t know why, but I’m into natural, woodsy, rusticand white right now... I’m thinking greenery with a roll of craft pearls looping or draping with a few small burlap bows... maybe a couple of those white doves you can buy at dollar tree...

• Becky

I haven't checked out your blog post on this yet, maybe you address this there: how did you suspend or attach it to the ceiling? I would love to see a photo of that. I think this is a lovely idea for our covered patio. And even though you suggested a higher quality burlap ribbon which wouldn't require trimming stray threads, I have to say I loved the shabby-chic look of the frayed threads!

• Thank you so much Becky, I just pulled the strings up and tied them in a knot and hooked them from a regular ceiling hook like the kind you would use to swag a lamp cord or chain.

• Shelli

I will try this. Love it. Thank u so much for sharing. Happy Thanksgiving Blessings

• Heje

The inexpensive burlap made it unique. It is a good idea and the two colors of lights will make for a peaceful setting.