Pretty Painted Stones for Your Garden

$3

I love the look of paisley and I love to paint, so it was just natural to decide to paint a bunch of rocks with a paisley pattern! This easy project took a bit of time, but the results are colorful and very paisley-like! Painted Paisley stones make beautiful decorations in your garden or potted plants, or even on your desk as a paper weight!
pretty painted stones for your garden
 I needed some pretty river rocks.  Where would I get these?  Well…the local fish restaurant has an awesome bit of landscaping which involves thousands of river rocks.  So… I suggested eating at the fish place to the hubby, who thought it was a grand idea!  Little did he know that I had ulterior motives!  To my husbands’ total embarrassment, I asked the manager if I could have some rocks.
pretty painted stones for your garden
Mom comes over every Sunday and helps me with the multiple craft projects that are always piled in my work room.  This time I handed her my sweet pile of rocks and a paintbrush, acrylic paint, and asked her to paint them all black.  Mom doesn’t question my motives because she knows it will eventually be something nice.  So, she grabbed the paint and went to work!
pretty painted stones for your garden
Both sides were painted black with regular black acrylic paint.  I chose this because I thought it would be a good contrast against the brightly colored metallic paints.  It took two coats on each side to get good coverage.
pretty painted stones for your garden
Paisleys are rather easy to paint.  Simply paint a tear drop shape, then add a curled tail to it.  Using various colors of acrylic metallic paint and turning the paisleys this way and that, we covered all the stones with a paisley pattern.
pretty painted stones for your garden
I then added more details after each color dried, adding new colors in dots, flowers, and teardrops.
pretty painted stones for your garden
To add contrast, touches of the black acrylic paint were used to create borders and extra design on the paisleys.
pretty painted stones for your garden
The final touch was to seal the entire project with Matte Mod Podge.  The Mod Podge protects the paint, keeping it from chipping. They would look just beautiful as a garden decoration or an addition to a potted plant!
pretty painted stones for your garden
For more fun garden projects from my website, be sure to click on the link below!

• Rocks
  • Acrylic paint
  • Mod podge sealant
Susan Myers

• Ard7370318

How well would mod podge hold up to weather if these were placed outside year round? I think these would look pretty placed here and there mingled in with flowers or placed inside a birdbath but would like for them to last a few years! Do you think poly would hold up better in these applications?

• Cindi

What kind of paint brushes did you use to make your intricate dots & designs?

• Jewellmartin

Your designs are beautiful and intricate, but with your step-by-step directions, I believe I could do paisley. I see what a difference varying the size of the brushes can make. Best wishes

• Linda

Where can I buy the rocks?

• Nico

Omg ! Beautiful ! You're good ! I'm copying you ! I have a ton in the front yard ! omg so nice !

• Nev32748709

I like this idea very much! I prefer to put these stones in a basket in the garden. I will try this. Thank you very much!