Dianna Jensen
Dianna Jensen
  • Grand Junction, CO

Painted Wing Back Chairs

$108

My hubby bought 2 beautiful wing back chairs for $25.00 each at an auction. When he brought them home I said; "those are awesome, I'm going to paint them!" He came back at me with " the h...you are!" I said; "Watch me!" When they were done he said; "You're awesome, I should have never doubted you!"
TAPE OFF THE CHAIR LEGS AND CUSHION AREA
Taped off the legs and under side of chair so if any paint dripped it would not get on the legs or under the chair. My husband chimed in also and covered the front of the chair where the cushion goes by putting newspaper and taped off so while painting it wouldn't get in that space. I love it when he comes up with such great ideas!!
FIRST COAT OF ANNIE SLOAN PAINT
FIRST COAT OF ANNIE SLOAN PAINT
I used Coco chalk paint from Annie Sloan. I diluted the paint 1/2 paint and 1/2 water. Then I lightly sprayed the fabric in the area that I was painting and started brushing on the paint. It was around 100 degrees in the garage and I had a fan on so the paint dried rather quickly. This process took about four rounds of paint.
ALLOWING PAINT TO DRY
ALLOWING PAINT TO DRY
After I allowed the paint to dry on the chair ( 4 coats of paint to cover the chair) (I used the buffer sponge they use on your nails at the salon) to lightly sand the chairs. It didn't need much. I believe it was because the fabric was a very fine quality. I didn't have any streaks or globs of paint so there really wasn't anything to sand, I did it because I had watched a tutorial on painting with chalk paint and they suggested that step. After I lightly sanded, I took a clean rag and wiped it down and painted one more coat of paint. (5th coat of paint) Let it dry and then waxed it.
PAINT THE CUSHIONS
PAINT THE CUSHIONS
Painted the cushions. Same procedure as the chair.
WAX THE CHAIR WITH ANNIE SLOAN WAX
WAX THE CHAIR WITH ANNIE SLOAN WAX
After the chair was dry, I used a wax brush and waxed the chair. I let it dry for a while (10-15minutes was all it took) and took a clean white towel and buffed the wax in. I then sanded and re stained the legs.
FINISHED CHALK PAINTED CHAIRS
FINISHED CHALK PAINTED CHAIRS
My husband helped me move them inside and he even put some new pads on the bottom of the chairs so they wouldn't scratch the floors. They look like leather, they are comfy, and I became a believer that chalk paint could be used on fabric. I think I made a believer out of my husband too!!
Next project. ...fixing an old table that matched the chairs.

• Tina

I may try this on two chairs I wanted to recover. The material is in perfect shape, the pattern is what I'm not happy with. My question is did you use the half water half paint in the spray bottle or spray with water then brush on the paint? The directions are a little hard to understand, Thank you!

• Janine

is the fabric crunchy feeling now?

• Linda cooks

i just bought two wing back chairs, they are dark burgundy,I would like to paint them a soft beige,what paint would work on these? would the chalk paint work on them?

• Dianna Jensen

I'm not a professional painter so I would go to Annie Sloan paint stores and ask the PROS that sells her paint. They are trained and would know the answer's to your questions. I haven't done leather with chalk paint but I can tell you that my chairs feel like leather. I have not heard of putting softener in the paint and that sounds like a good idea but I would research it before doing a huge project.

Good luck and thanks for all the kind comments.

• Maureen

Awesome make over!! You did a great job!!