Katie Bookser
Katie Bookser
  • Greenwich, CT

DIY Hanging Lantern

$15

Summer is by far my favorite time of year. Lately, my goal has been to take time at the end of each day to stop, unwind and truly enjoy the season. I love creating a relaxing outdoor space full of twinkling lights, fragrant flowers, and good company. In my quest for the ultimate cozy summer terrace, these hanging lanterns were born.
Watch the video above to see how you can easily make your own, or keep reading for step by step instructions. Enjoy!
diy hanging lantern
I picked up this pretty glass jar at the craft store for just a couple of dollars, I love the subtle teal color. I also grabbed a spool of medium sized rope.
diy hanging lantern
Measure out an 8 foot piece of rope. Use this piece as a guide to cut 3 more pieces of rope, each 8 feet long, for a total of 4 pieces.
diy hanging lantern
Line all of these pieces up evenly and fold them in half to create a loop at the top.
diy hanging lantern
diy hanging lantern
Create a large knot at the top and pull it tight.
diy hanging lantern
Use some tape to secure the loop above the knot to your work space.
diy hanging lantern
diy hanging lantern
Grab any 2 pieces of rope and create another knot about 10 inches down from the large knot at the top.
diy hanging lantern
Repeat this step until you have 4 knots in a row.
diy hanging lantern
Pick 2 of the knots that you just made, and grab the 2 strings that rest between them. You guessed it, make another knot a few inches down.
diy hanging lantern
Repeat this step until you have 4 more knots.
diy hanging lantern
Grab the loose ends at the bottom and create another large knot. Trim the ends so that they are even.
diy hanging lantern
Place the jar inside all of the knots you just made and adjust it so that it rests evenly on the large knot at the bottom. All that's left to do is add some type of light and enjoy! I used fairy lights because I love the way they twinkle, but you can use a candle (I would suggest battery operated for safety but if you choose to use a real candle, never leave it unattended). The ultimate relaxing summer ambience! P.S. to see how I made the other little lantern in the background, stay tuned for my next post! If you like this project and want to see more, check out my YouTube channel by clicking here or visit my website: www.katiebookser.com
diy hanging lantern

• Glass Jar
  • Rope
  • Fairy Lights or a Candle
Katie Bookser

• Karen Bartomioli

Love this! Have fairy lights in a jar on the lower patio, but I should do this to hang it from the deck above. The question I always have with such projects is, where do you hide the battery box?

• Katie Bookser

Ah yes that is always my dilemma too! But I love them so much I usually find a way :) I actually had a little ledge near where I hung the lantern and I just set the battery pack there and used a piece of tape to secure it. You could also add some decorative stones to the bottom of the jar and hide the pack underneath them inside the jar. I've also seen people add tulle inside the jar to hide it. The remote control sounds great too. Just a few options, I hope you find something that works for you!
  • Linda Ware

I must be missing something. When you go to make the second set of knots, I only see 3, with one single on each side. How do you get the 4th knot?????
  • Rambie

Aadorable! Could you possible explain on how to make a double top & bottom hanging macrema hanger? I have 2 5in glass baskets I want to hang on my porch. Thank-you for sharing with us! :)
    • Rambie

That would be wonderful. If you do tag me somehow so I can see it please :)

• Hei19352407

What about the solar lights....
    • Katie Bookser

Solar lights would be great! I have a few but sadly I don't get enough direct sunlight to charge them fully. If you do, I think that would be beautiful.
  • Jane

This is my College days all over again. Bring on the macromae books and try the small battery candles. We couldn't use Real in our dorms!