The UnBeeLievable Bee House That Hubby Built

$0
1 Day

You know when you get a super cool idea but you can’t do it yourself? I’ve been learning a lot about the decline of our pollinators and wanted to make a bee house to help attract and keep these worker bees. But I didn’t have the skills to make what I wanted. You are not going to bee-lieve what Hubby surprised me with.
Over the 4th of July weekend, Hubby decided to take an unprecedented five day vacation from work. He was finished with my “honey=do” list by day #4 so I was surprised when on day #5 he asked about the bee house we had been talking about. I had a few pictures of ideas printed out, and talked him through what I had in mind.

He used scraps of wood that we had extra from another project and glued them together to make the roof.
While that was doing its thing, he bored holes in a tree stump. A couple of months ago, Hubby helped one of our neighbors cut down a tree and we were tree-ted (smile) with some wood for our fireplace. This stump was from that project.
He then stained the roof and cut out a triangle for the front and back to be able to secure to the stump. The roof was then secured to the stump and stained. 
And the porch! How stinkin cute is this porch! I am on the hunt for some little Adirondack chairs and some patriotic bunting. Can’t you see the bees sitting out on the porch enjoying some sweet tea?
Want to read the entire article and see more pictures? BEE sure to click on the link below and head over to the blog post. I would love for you to stop by and say hello and let me know what you think!

Holly Bertone | Pink Fortitude

• Tami Burr Mcgregor

How deep are the holes? What diameter? Thanks. Want to make one.
  • Diane shackelfod

Such a cute idea, no matter who moves in! But I want to know how deep are the holes drilled? Love the " bee" porch.

• Jane

Sending to my son-in-law who harvests bees, he will love this!!
  • Chelsea Carter

Do the bees come with no prompting? Do you need flowers near?
    • Tami

Gonna soooo try this near a hibiscus tree I have, always see bees around it! Hope I don't get stung

• Mary Anne Fountain

I think there is some confusion regarding this bee home. This is beautiful and will certainly draw the Mason bees who are great pollinators. They are solitary bees that mate with the males as soon as they emerge. The males die shortly after. They do need some damp soil or mud nearby to seal their eggs. Just google Mason bees for more info. They generally will not sting. These are not carpenter bees. Mason bees use hole already drilled.
  • Erica Smith

I just love the Bee Condo!! It is My kinda of Beeeeautiful to!!! The more rustic and coun"tree" I can get the better I love it!!!

TFS

*Blessings*

Erica Smith