What is the best drill set for newbie senior DIYer?

Adam WillsonJane Mahoney AndrewsRuth
+5

Moving to a new home and will need power tools like a screwdriver and a sander. I want to put furniture together, hang curtains,etc.

• Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

Your best "basic" deal will be at Harbor Freight.
  • KattywhampusLOL
    KattywhampusLOL

Jane, the followoing links will help you to make thebest decision for you. Remember that you are building a tool set that will be dependable and will allow you to do the jobs you will need to get done. I, too, am a senior DIYer, and know how many different jobs around the house (besides crafts) the tools need to do, but the tools I use are very outdated and heavy (inherited from my Dad after he passed). I hope these links will help you make the best decision for you and your needs> Thanks for using Hometalk, Jane, and good luck with all you do :)
  • Sylvia Smothers Lawing
    Sylvia Smothers Lawing

Whatever brand you get,go lightweight. As a woman, I find that it is difficult for me to manage a heavy drill in awkward positions, for instance if I am holding it up in the air over my head. Bigger is not always better.
  • Dfm
    Dfm

buy the best quality you can afford when you need to use them. go with a reputable brand. i prefer a non power screw driver....i've had 2 different battery operated ones....each ha their own power pack.. 1 yr later....the power packs failed to charge. a light duty drill will take a screw driver type bit. sanders have 2 basic types a palm sander- square shaped usually, and the other model takes longer piece of sand paper. sanding blocks are great for curved surfaces it's like stiff sponge with sandpaper on all sides.

• Phil a
    Phil a

IMHO.. The best bargain and quite adequate drill motors are the battery type sets made by RYOBI at Home Depot. Their "RYOBI ONE" series of tools use the same batteries and they are not too expensive. You could buy the battery type tools at HARBOR FREIGHT, but these are "usually" bottom tier tools at a VERY low price, but you can always go and check them out in the store.
  • Ruth
    Ruth

Black and Decker 20 volt drill set. Less than 100 dollars.
  • Jane Mahoney Andrews
    Jane Mahoney Andrews

Thanks All for the help!
  • Adam Willson
    Adam Willson

I think in a good local tool shop you would be given great advice about the tool you need to choose. I also prefer proven brands(DeWalt or Snap On) and quality tools and drill. It is better to pay once and enjoy a long time. As for the set of drills, I think you will need the most standard set of 5-10 attachments, which are most often used. View right on the website SunCutting I bought a lot of parts