Bobbi Perreault
Bobbi Perreault
  • Glencoe, MN

Leaded Glass Look on a Budget

$15

Love the window films at the store but hate the price? Got a steady hand? You can make your own privacy screen with a little time and patience. Check out how easy it is to get a beautiful custom look that lets in all the light and none of the unsightly views.
Materials: Clear Contact Paper, Pattern Ideas from the Home Store, Acrylic Paints.
Leaded glass on a budget.  That frosted look is just the contact paper, it is translucent. The lines are thick glittery paint.
Leaded glass on a budget. That frosted look is just the contact paper, it is translucent. The lines are thick glittery paint.
If you need ideas (like I do) the home store has lots of leaded glass patterns.
Shelf paper/Contact paper in clear. (it's not really clear, see 1st pic) You can draw your pattern on the back then trace from the front.
The three on the left got mixed into the jar on the right which becomes the lead
This is two after the lead is applied and before the color.   I use the squares on the back to make everything even.
This is two after the lead is applied and before the color. I use the squares on the back to make everything even.
Another pattern.   I Apply the contact paper directly to the window.  It pulls off cleanly.  And is also reusable.
Another pattern. I Apply the contact paper directly to the window. It pulls off cleanly. And is also reusable.
Privacy and color for a bathroom window.
You can take is off and put it back on multiple times with no loss in adhesive ability.

• Penny Eckert Durrett

what are the 3 product you mixed to make your "lead" for the contact paper window?

• Bobbi Perreault

Penny, I used fabric paint for the lead. I had a heck of a time getting that sticky backing of the contact paper off the window, though. It does not come off so clean

• Kathy C

Thanks. I can try this on my laundry room window. Privacy yet still let the light in.

• Dawn Mertz

I love this idea! I may try it with my back porch sliding doors!

• Bobbi Perreault

Hi, Dawn For a big window, I would use the spray paint for making windows transparent/opaque Glass Frosting paint. You can use tape for the design. But it'll be easier by far to use the spray paint